Thursday, March 31, 2005

Riding on My Own

Do you remember when you were learning how to ride a bicycle – that moment when the person running behind you and holding onto the seat let go and you were actually riding on your own? I will never forget it. It is a feeling of liberation and tremendous personal accomplishment. I experienced this feeling with my Daddy when I was 6 years old on the side street near our house.

Just yesterday afternoon I had this same sort of feeling of excitement – as though I was being liberated from something and was finally able to ride on my own. For the entire past year as I have tried new things and attempted to release pent-up feelings, I have depended on a variety of individuals to help me balance and not fall off my bike. Just now as a year approaches, I have the confidence to ride on my own. I’ve learned a lot about how to catch myself before I fall, literally and figuratively. This is not to say that I will never need anyone’s help again – I’m not Wonder Woman! But it is a new sense of self-confidence that I hope will only grow with time. It feels very good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home