Sunday, July 17, 2005

Welcome to Chautauqua

Bill and I arrived yesterday amid torrential rainfall. Even so, this is the most amazing little town. As I type this, I am listening to wonderful church bells coming from somewhere. I hope we see the sun today.

We're staying at the Englewood, where no one locks the door and where you just borrow a bike any time you want to go somewhere. We have a large room with 2 beds and 2 fans (a real necessity in this humidity). I thought it wasn't supposed to be humid in New England, that I was supposed to need a sweater.

We had dinner with Deborah and Neal last night in their funky apartment with its very TINY kitchen. It's almost fun to have to make do with less than ideal equipment. Dinner tasted great, probably because we hadn't had a lot of real food during the day. The more I get to know Deborah, the more I like her. She balances her work with a lot of other interests and seems to do a good job with all of them.

We heard Mahler's 7th last night with constant rainfall on the roof. Sort of a cool sound in a concert hall which is covered, but open-air. Bill Vaughan looks like he is really enjoying his stay here. I will find out this afternoon, when we go to a volleyball-dinner party at Deborah's teacher's house, to which the symphony is invited.

Bill C has checked out the schedule this week and had his yellow highlighter busy. There is no shortage of things to do. So while he is being lectured, Deborah and I will seek out the chamber music program. That's tomorrow's adventure.

I feel happy to be here in this beautiful place with people I enjoy. I wish David was here, but I can look forward to seeing him when we're both back home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home