Monday, August 21, 2006

The No Big Deal Move

I came to work today fully expecting the worst because my office was moved to our new building over the weekend. A commercial company is moving 300 employees each weekend for as long as it takes to get our entire agency moved. We were the third group to move and I had heard a few horror stories from the first two groups, including the 12" black snake which fell out of the ceiling onto someone's desk as she unpacked. So I entered the building prepared for snakes and rodents and just general chaos.

Finding my office was the first challenge. I am in 3K277 in the lime green corridor. Someone went a little over the top with the colors, but it's OK – I can live with lime green.

When I finally did locate my office, I was surprised to find my old furniture installed just as I had requested and my 9 crates sitting in my office waiting to be unpacked. Everything appeared to be accounted for. Nothing had been broken during the move. My computer booted up on the first try. Unbelievable! The printer across from my office doesn't work yet, but a color printer 25 steps away works fine.

By lunchtime I had unpacked my 9 crates, hung my certificates and other crap on the walls, and attached my mobiles to the ceiling. I have the most terrific artistic mobile of papier mache dancers made by my daughter in the 7th grade – 5 dancers that continuously rotate and do pirouttes with a little breeze. I also have a mobile of 4 colorful toucans from Guatemala. They add interest to an otherwise uninteresting office of 35 years of government work.

All in all the new building is a huge improvement over the neanderthal that has housed my agency for the last 50 years. But I do have just a few complaints – as though anyone reading this can do anything about them:
– I share a single refrigerator and microwave with 140 other people. Do you know how many cubic inches of cool space that is? Can you imagine how long the line to heat up lunch is? I actually opened a can of sardines today and didn't bother to find out.
– I am no longer allowed the luxury of my rental Deer Park hot-and-cold water dispenser. This means that I will be shlepping in 5 large bottles of water each week because I still refuse to drink the tap water even though they say it's OK in the new building.
– The walls between offices are like rice paper, meaning that I can hear every word my boss says on the phone and in meetings in her office. This is the one time when my voice that doesn't carry is an asset.
– I am miles (it would seem) away from my staff. I'm sure they are looking at this as a big improvement.

As for unwanted creatures, I have seen only one small roach so far. I didn't even bother to kill it figuring that it was one of many. No snakes, no rats.

Someone just came by and said my office looked the nicest of the lot. I graciously accepted the compliment, claiming no real credit.

It is starting to feel like home after just one day. Surprisingly the day from hell died without a bang or a whimper. The move came off without a hitch. I am utterly amazed!

(Tomorrow I'll take a picture of the real thing and post it.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

I'm glad your move went well. When we moved 5 years ago, it went well as well. The downside was that they moved to the other side of town (previously they had been sort of in the middle with me living in the east end and everyone else living in the west end).

We are not allowed cameras in the facility (at least not without permission from security).

As for the microwave, refrigerator issue … hmmm, it wouldn’t bother me since I only eat food that won't spoil at room temperature before I eat it.

Paper thin walls would drive me crazy … not that I have any walls to speak of … so I hear all conversations (at least those near me) all the time.

I think a view makes a cubicle much more manageable. Sadly, all I see now is cubicle walls - unless I want to turn around and look out in the parking lot.

5:15 PM  
Blogger RennyBA said...

Thanks for keeping us posted – you really are great making it cosy around you. Sometimes it's good for getting rid of things you don't actually need too? Good luck with your new office and we are looking forward to the proof of the pudding tomorrow:-)

5:24 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Maybe I should ask before I take a picture -- good idea!

You reminded me of the one other downside to the move. I used to have a window. It didn't have much of a view, only a parking lot. But the real sun could come in and I could even open the window. Now I have no window and the new building is sealed so no windows open. I'm sad to give up my window with no view.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

My above comment was to Richard. Renny sneaked in before I could publish it. One more thing to Richard -- I just checked out your view (that you used to have?) and it was something out of a picture book! That counts for a lot I think.

Renny -- We'll see about the picture. Richard is teaching me to do things by the book!

5:32 PM  
Blogger wharman said...

Congratulations on the relatively hassle-free move! That's great! Good luck getting to know the new building. Are you allowed to bring in your own microwave? How many people to a bathroom? Can't wait to see the photos if you're allowed to take them.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Wendy -- I've heard that people are bringing in personal refrig and microwaves even though they are strictly forbidden. I'm going to wait a week and see if the microwave "police" materialize or if everyone just turns a blind eye on whatever we do. The bathroom situation has been fine so far, but when the entire floor is populated, it may be more congested. There we will have no remedy!

I keep thinking of other things I miss. Like my plant which thrived in the sunlight of my old office, but would surely die in an interior office. Why in the world didn't they give us old timers a window?

9:57 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Wow! I think we have more facilities in the school I work at...3 micros for 50 staff, phones in each room, and windows in most of them. We can get up and move around all we want. Hmmm...maybe I don't have it so bad after all!
Ah, but you are good at personalizing your own space with your own signature trademarks!

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home