Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Perfect Recipe for Wolf Trap

After 30-some years of going to Wolf Trap at least once or twice every summer, I have reaffirmed that the perfect evening includes the following two ingredients:

– A pre-show picnic with wine and cheese, something cold like a main course salad, and a light dessert, maybe with some dark chocolate thrown in. Nothing complicated or fancy, but all food that I enjoy sharing with friends.

– Lawn seats, where you can just lie back and look at the sky, at the stars sometimes, as you listen to music. I have heard the NSO, Judy Collins, PP&M, Lyle Lovett, and now Fiona Apple, among others. Whether it’s my choice of music or not, it always sounds 100% better to me from the lawn, where I don’t have to swelter in the heat of the 10th row from the stage, where my eardrums are not perpetually pummeled, and where I can just imagine what the performer looks like (which is sometimes better than watching the real thing).

Maybe I’m just a creature of habit, but this is one habit that works for me.

Wolf Trap... where the arts come out to play!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I love Wolf Trap... How was Fiona Apple? I heard her open for Coldplay a few months ago, but the Verizon Center is not the best venue. It definitely pales in comparison to Wolf Trap.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Truthfully, Kristin, if I had been your age, I would probably have been just as excited as the 20-somethings and 30-somethings that were going wild. I was at a disadvantage because I couldn't understand the lyrics and I don't know her songs. And she was difficult to watch because she looked like she was in pain. I enjoyed the concert much more when I retreated to the lawn, laid back, and just looked up at the sky, while listening to the music which was considerably more pleasant at a distance.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

She does look like she's in pain. She also sounds like she's imbibed a bottle of whisky. Recently. But I like her. Good background music while gazing at the stars, I'm sure.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Never heard of Wolf Trap but it sounds cool! I like Lyle Lovett a lot..never really knew what he did until a few years ago. Wonder if Julia Roberts loved his music?!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- If Julia Roberts loved his music, it wasn't enough to keep them together for more than just a brief time. He does a really good show.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home