Saturday, September 23, 2006

Like a Forest of Sequoias

My eyes are sort of glazed over after one of the busiest weeks I have ever had. In launching the Temple Micah High Holy Days, I have dealt with sound techs, movers, florists, people who are panicked about getting tickets, and a host of others this week. But the first service happened without any major glitches and I am breathing easier.

The pearl of wisdom I took away from tonight’s service had to do with sequoia trees. I learned that despite their extreme height, sequoia trees have a very shallow root system. So how do they keep from toppling over in a big wind? They grow in groups and their roots reach out to entwine with those of other trees. In that way they all stay erect and balanced.

Temple Micah is sort of like a forest of sequoias. It was only because I was so well supported by so many individuals in the congregation that I could pull off planning this series of events for 1200 people. Volunteers have come out of the woodwork to do virtually any job I handed out. Not one person said NO when asked to do something. We hold each other up so we can reach for the sky and not fall on our faces.

L’shana tovah. A good and sweet year to everyone!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

L’shana tovah. I look forward to the year opening up for all of us.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

I am more like a tree that puts down deep roots and tries to brace against the forces.

Being part of a community is good and vital.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I love this analogy! It serves me well, although I do put down deep rooits too. And I'm not quite as strong looking on the outside. We definitely need the support of others.

I have a question...why do they sell tickets to High Holy Day events? Is it to raise money for the Synagogue or do they really cost a lot to put on various events? Both?

5:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Sue -- Maybe your years in Brooklyn rendered you part-Jewish! You seem like you would fit right in at Temple Micah.

Richard -- Giving up our deep solitary root systems and depending on the strength of others is something that is hard for many of us.

MOI -- Your question about tickets: Tickets are FREE to members and their immediate families. They are sold to non-members to help defray the cost of running a synagogue, which is just like a business. We pay for the rental of a large church in which to hold our services. We pay for audio techs to wire us for sound. We pay the salaries of the staff associated with the synagogue. But I suppose one of the primary purposes for the ticket system is to have an idea of how many people will be coming. There is space for around 1100 persons. We gave out/sold 1200 tickets, knowing that not everyone would show up. There was hardly an empty seat!

5:58 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Thanks. Wow! That is an amazing response.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

I'm with MOI the analogy was great.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home