Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Feeling the Stress of the Season

Once again I am finding that the holiday season tends to bring out the worst in some people. Last weekend our waitress at lunch was obviously pissed because we wanted to sit at a table near natural light instead of in the back of the restaurant. After our weekly hour of playing music together, my friend Deborah complained that she was the only one in her household who was interested in making Christmas happen, so any preparation was going to fall on her shoulders. Yesterday as someone in my yoga class was approaching the yoga studio on her bicycle, I heard her yell "ASSHOLE" at a driver who almost ran her over. During class we listened to people sitting on their horns in the streets outside.

I am thinking to myself, isn't this supposed to be a time of brotherly love? Instead it's more like ‘Tis the season to be hateful!

My yoga teacher, who is infinitely wise, commented that instead of being so focused on THE DAY, we should try to enjoy the process of getting there. As I thought about this more, I realized that it's not just Christmas, but many big events in our lives that we agonize over instead of seeking out enjoyment along the way. This brought to mind my wedding, our children's bar/bat mitzvahs, special birthday celebrations. We tried to put this thought in practice during our class, diminishing the image of the final perfect pose and simply enjoying the many stretches in our attempt to get there.

Maybe if we just skipped a year of Christmas, people would rediscover the missing joys of the season and the seeds of brotherly love could germinate. Meanwhile, I'm on high alert for holiday crazies, because they indeed abound out there.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't I know it! I am looking forward to this year. Nothing special, just time off, reflection, being with my menagerie, a little decorating. I'm in no hurry to be anywhere!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

As I said on a recent blog, I keep reminding myself if I get a wee bit anxious, that I very well could not have been here this year and I should enjoy every preparation in the process. I am a lot calmer. I'm pretty well done shopping and baking but just need to wrap and get the tree done. I'll get there...

The picture with your blog is so perfect! Shattered nerves!

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My only stress is to get the packages wrapped and mailed to my family's home where we celebrate Christmas. That is nearly finished so I am enjoying the season. I guess I have been stressed over the holidays but not to the point of anger or bitterness about the season. I also have not encountered that in others this season. I think most people I associate with are so tired from working so hard this year, they are lacking in emotional response to the season.

Happy Hannukah, B&D......enjoy the festival of lights! I so loved those 8 days as well as the two days of Christmas as my children were growing up.

9:36 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

The Ex- Mrs Bulletholes used to "ratchet" expectations up to a level that was almost painful.
You know what??? you don't have to be on time... you do not need all that stuff, especially at the last minute, they are not here for the Deviled Eggs, they are here to see you and honking at the car in front of you is not helping. One more string of lights just might do the trick, Huh?
Pretty intense and lots of folks are that way I guess...maybe it just wouldn't be Christmas without 'em.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Christmas is stressful. Everyone has a lot more work dumped on them because they have to buy presents and send cards or whatever. Travel totally sucks, family dynamics get stirred up, and afterwards everyone is broke.

I hate the holidays even though I usually enjoy bits and pieces along the way. Bah humbug! It'll all be over soon. Then January will arrive with its quiet bleankness. I can't wait.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I've been trying to enjoy the holidays. I swear. It's just been really hard, especially as holiday parties draw me away from the ever-increasing workload, which, in itself, makes me want to cry. I've finished shopping. Mailed some packages. Looked forward to spending time with friends and family. It's just so hectic! (And then there's the falling down the steps.)

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home