Wednesday, February 07, 2007

More than a Puck and a Stick



I am just as uninterested in sports as Reya is. However, when the invitation to go to a hockey game with some other Bloggers came up, I jumped at the chance. I must confess I hadn't been to a hockey game in over 30 years and could just barely tell you who the local hockey team was. And that was probably only because Quentin's PT practice works on injured CAPS.

I managed to get through my earlier obligation and arrive with my husband by the start of the second period. The only face I recognized was Velvet's as we stood in line to buy the requisite 16-oz cup of beer. She introduced me to her friend FreckledK.

Then we climbed to the next to the highest row of seats in the MCI Center to watch the game. I expected to need binoculars, but it really wasn't that bad. I wouldn't have known one player from the other even if I could read their names. The colors of their uniforms were easily recognizable and my husband quietly told me to cheer for the ones in black.

As we watched the puck fly around the rink and very rarely go into the net to score a goal, I was much more interested in learning more about the other people sitting in row P with me. I could only wave to Velvet on the other end. But in between us were a wonderful burly black guy who works at the VA, having chosen public service over a career with an oil company; EJ, who is the same age as my son and who came across as incredibly mature for her young age; BettyJoan, who shares a history of bad skin with me and who is currently preparing for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer; and some others who were friends or coworkers of the above.

I had my eye on the game, usually cheering for whoever possessed the puck. When the electronic sign told me to cheer, I did. When it said LOUDER, I did just that. The people running these games don't give us spectators credit for being able to think! I did notice the players seemed not as violent as they had been at the last game I attended. There was no blood, no medical emergencies.

It was a rather low-scoring game, with the CAPS and BRUINS tied at 2-2 at the end of the third period. So there was a shootout and the Bruins were ultimately victorious. Oh well...

Then we all went home. My good parking karma had secured a space in the adjacent block, so we were soon on our way. I came away with renewed interest in attending Blogger happy hours to be able to catch up with people like Velvet, EJ, and BettyJoan again. What a fun evening!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

couple clarifications:

* you're not up with the times - it's now the Verizon Center.

* i think actually BettyJoan is the same age, not EJ.

* they actually played an overtime period and because no one scored, then they had a shootout. c'mon barbara, get with the game.

How do you know it was your good karma and not the driver's? :-)

Thanks for a fun evening!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

David -- You are a picky editor. I concede on everything but the parking karma. I spotted that place and I know I have good karma when it comes to parking (first identified by someone from SF -- the hardest city in the world to park in)!

5:33 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

I have zero interest in sports and never go (even for the social aspect of it).

6:06 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I've been to a few of my niece's games when she played for University of Wisconsin. I can see the appeal but we don't go to NHL games...far too expensive!
So cool you actually meet bloggers!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Richard -- I'll bet you would go and even cheer if one of your children was playing!

MOI -- I love meeting other Bloggers. Why else would I have gone to a hockey game? Oh yeah, maybe because my husband loves hockey?

6:30 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Glad you had fun. I recently had the pleasure of meeting Miss EJ and absolutely adore her. (I've always adored hockey.)

9:13 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

I had the pleasure of watching a CAPS practie out at Ashburn ice house a couple months back- Up close and personal. And, I didn't have to keep track of a score- What fun?
Too bad they're not doing well.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

David-No fair!

Barbara-I love going to games. The people, the smells, food. Haven't been to one since the Dolphins played the Bills when OJ was still on the team.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

OL -- I have to admit the sound of that organ (which is probably recorded these days) is compelling. It doesn't take much beer to get me stinking drunk, so seats in the peanut gallery and a beer or two still make me quite a cheap date.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home