Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Grocery Shopping on X-day


Retirement means there are no more holidays, no more workdays. Or maybe it’s more like every day is a holiday.

When I open my eyes in the morning without having the jarring sound of an alarm clock, I find the day looks very much like the one I said goodnight to. Mon runs into Tues runs into Wednes runs into Thurs runs into Satur runs into Sun. It takes an event like a Monday yoga class or a Wednesday meditation group to distinguish one from the other.

I had a sudden realization as I went to Whole Foods today at 1:30 to buy some groceries. The parking lot was empty. There were plenty of carts. I breezed in and out in no time with no waiting in line, no hassle. Where was everyone? Then I realized they were all at work!

So I cooked tonight. Credit me with one fine dinner. It was a made-up fish soup, sort of like a bouillabaise. But in my own cooking style, I refused to consult a recipe, preferring instead to mentally imagine what would taste good. Here’s what I did:

– Sauteed onions, garlic, and ginger.
– Added coarsely chopped oyster mushrooms.
– Added baby spinach, fresh basil, parsley.
– Added a can of fire-roasted crushed tomatoes.
– Added Chilean sea bass chopped into bite-size pieces.
– Added homemade fish stock (still leftover (frozen) from the Passover gefillte fish).
– Added a handful of pasta.
– Cooked just until the pasta was al dente.
– Ladled into bowls and topped with garlicky croutons.

Even though it was not required cooking, it was fun and warmed our bellies.

On my way into DC to meditation tonight, I realized that I had never brushed my hair today. It’s really hard when there is no routine. How could I leave out this necessary part of grooming? Tomorrow I will do it for sure!

I never realized just how structured and programmed my life had become. This is like a whole new way of life. At meditation, one person commented that I had taken on a new relaxed look. Maybe it was my wild hair. Maybe I really am learning how to be leisurely.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I love hearing about your retirement. I cannot even imagine learning to slow down, to realize that it's for real. All that time.

10:17 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

The pseudo bouillabaise sounds FABULOUS!! I love chilean sea bass- but at 12.99 a pound I very rarely buy it.

You've inspired me to post some recipes too! I'll start with my dinner tomorrow night- chicken with 40 cloves of garlic! Yum, but I always add at LEAST 45 cloves.

I didn't brush my hair either on wednesday! And that is quite a fright sight for sure! Too funny- here's to the wild hair days of your future! Cheers

10:28 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- The fallacy is about "all that time". I can't find it. It's like it get absorbed into the fabric of 24 hours!

Gewels -- Only half a pound of sea bass, just enough for the taste without all that price! There is never too much garlic, so I say go for 50! Can't wait for that recipe.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

As mentioned previously, just relax, let the old you disappear and then reform a new you. How long will it take? Who knows. A minimum of 6 months sounds good to me. Don't structure your life based on the rebound.

Free form cooking is the best. Of course, you have to be in a mood where you can smell the aromas, feel the textures and taste the food before you even start preparing it.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Ulysses said...

I don't expect to have any more time after I retire, but I do think that my structure and program will be more reflective of only myself. I look forward to finding out what I might learn about myself from my future schedule.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Richard -- Six months seems like a long time, but you are probably right. Yes on your cooking comments.

Ulysses -- I think you are so right that your ultimate schedule speaks to exactly who you are, what makes you tick. I'm anxious to find out...

9:04 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Now you're gettin' it! I walk out all the time without earrings, rings, watch, and make-up.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Isn't it fun shopping when no one else is?

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home