Saturday, August 18, 2007

A Catalog That Survived

What is it that occasionally makes me actually order something from one of those many colorful glossy-covered catalogs that come most every day in the mail?

Most of them go directly in the trash can, telling myself that I’m saving money by never opening the cover. But today there was a Gaiam catalog that advertized everything at least 50% off, so I read it cover-to-cover while I munched on salted cashews and fresh cherries – seems an appropriate snack for an all-cotton yoga-centric tree-hugging sort of company.

I actually do need a new yoga mat since mine is now about 7 years old. And I need some new shorts and a Tee or two for yoga and pilates. And, by the way, there are no more purchases of business suits, so there is money to spare for workout clothes.

I dog-eared quite a few pages, falling victim to the great savings by spending, spending, spending. It must have been that 50+% discount line that sucked me in, but Gaiam is getting my order tomorrow.

Maybe I should throw out all the other catalogs I have squirreled away, saving them for another day. I just realized that if I don’t order something right away, it never happens.

In my old job we used to call this the “kitchen table effect”, meaning that if a respondent didn’t fill out our survey questionnaire right away, it was likely not going to happen. Instead it would languish in the pile of junk mail on the kitchen table.

It is strange psychology that makes us operate this way. But someone at Gaiam obviously gamed me right today, because I’m placing an order!

Then I get to wait for the mail to come, something that has always thrilled me since my childhood days of ordering things off of cereal boxes.

How do you deal with all those catalogs that come in the mail?

4 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

I browse through them (if they are of interest). I may save them for the kids for arts and crafts. Otherwise, they get recycled in next week's blue box.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I had a friend who used to cut out pics of all the things she wanted to order. She pasted them in a scrapbook, rather than ordering. It served as a very cool kind of journal. She would look back through it and say, "Wow, during that time I was so interested in window treatments!" I thought it was an artful solution.

Speaking of solutions, "wellness solutions" ?? Which marketing mind made up that phrase?? Wow.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Richard -- There are lots of good pics for arts and crafts projects. Good use!

Reya -- What a novel idea your friend had. But then, who makes scrapbooks these days? We no longer do photo albums, hand-written diaries, or anything that will stand the test of time.

People are paid big bucks to come up with phrases like "wellness solutions". Doesn't that phrase have an alluring ring to it?

11:59 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I tend to toss them. I really don't need anything. At all. If/when I do, I just go and find it. Leafing through catalogs just gets me in trouble.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home