Sunday, September 16, 2007

My Finger-Licking Loss

Do you ever get that sinking feeling in your stomach when you realize you’re missing something important because it just slipped off your radar screen? That guilty feeling washed over me last night around 8:30 when I looked at my (paper) calendar (in fact the one I stole from my old job) only to find that a long-awaited dinner party was well under way.

It was “Hot Smoke and Cool Jazz”, a dinner given as an auction item for Temple Micah. It’s an annual event and one I have long wanted to attend. It’s the best of smoked meat and jazz piano played by the host’s accomplished 20-something son.

I sheepishly called with my humble apologies, citing my concentration on all the details of the High Holy Days, for which I am responsible at our temple. The host said they had wondered where we were and would miss us, but she totally understood.

Today I’m wondering how this happened – how neither my husband or I had remembered about this dinner party.

I think I have a clue. Most things in my life these days have an associated e-mail message. I leave those messages in my inbox until the event takes place, letting them serve as my daily reminders of what lies ahead. This one had a paper invitation sent about a month ago with no follow-up e-mail. It languished in the kitchen drawer and on my paper calendar with no chance for a reminder.

So as I ate yogurt with a sliced peach for dinner, they pulled their smoked meat from the bones and enjoyed Justin’s jazz. It was a dinner that just wasn’t meant to be for me. Fortunately we were not the only invited guests...

7 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I have a poor memory so I have 2 calendars, one in my purse for when I'm at doctors etc. and then one big one in my kitchen. I consult the big one first thing in the morning, then I make a list of things going on and things I have/want to do that day which I look at at least twice during the day. The trick is to make sure I've put the info from the purse calendar onto the big one as soon as I get in the door from an appointment! I've slipped a few times on this but luckly, offices usually phone me to confirm.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- I just need to get into a routine of checking my calendar!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I never really use calendars, so I'm a perpetual state of panic. I really ought not keep so much in my head.

What a shame, though, that you missed what sounds like a wonderful night.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Fortunately this rarely happens to me anymore. My calendar is online. Each day I get a pop-up that reminds of tasks, events, birthdays, etc. Like you I used to rely on the kitchen calendar but found some days were either to jammed with notes or I completely neglected to look at the calendar.

I suggest this hassle-free way to keep track of things to do. (I also get a pop-up reminder 2 weeks before a b'day/anniversary/etc., so that I have time to either send an e-card or purchase and mail one.

This is till not foolproof but certainly saves the annoyance or even anguish I have felt in the past over "missing" something.

Luv & Hugs,
Kate

4:49 PM  
Blogger Ruth L.~ said...

I'd forget my own birthday. I've forgotten many things, some on purpose. :>)

9:43 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I have typically maintained my schedule in my head, but I think it's time for more drastic measures.

Kate -- You are incredibly organized. I am so impressed, especially about the early warning on birthdays!

RuthD -- A woman of my own heart, but I usually don't forget things on purpose!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Barbara -- that is nice of you to say but I really am not, which is why I use that calendar on-line. :) Also as I get older I remember things I heard from my parents. My father once said something about putting him in a home if he ever got as [feeble-minded] as his mother. There may have been Alzheimer's in my family.

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home