Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Have Blow Dryer, Will Travel

As I sat in Axis in Dupont this afternoon getting my hair cut by my favorite hair guy Richard, he confessed that he had already had a long day. He had been at work since 6:00 a.m. But why?

Because Martina Navratilova needed a hair stylist in her room at the Four Seasons Hotel while she was interviewed in her new role with AARP. He said he seldom accepts jobs like this, but something told him this would be different from experiences where the celebrities had actually knocked the hair dryer out of his hand. And it was.

He showed up with all his products and “tools” at the crack of dawn to do her hair after her morning shower. Richard had studied a few photos of her from her publicist prior to the job so he knew exactly what to do. She told him candidly that on most occasions she feels she could do a better job with her hair, but not today.

After the initial styling, she sat in a chair in her hotel room giving the various interviews. He was amazed at her candor and natural demeanor. It was all unrehearsed but right on target with what babyboomers would like to hear. (She’s now one of us at 51.)

In between interviews Richard would touch up her hair as necessary. It was a job that paid several times what he would have made for the same amount of time in the salon.

Richard is a big Martina fan. He loves the fact that she campaigns for animal rights, that she sponsors a credit card which benefits gay and lesbian causes. He can’t wait to tell his large group of lesbian clients about his good fortune.

It’s experiences like Richard’s that remind us that even celebrities get older, and that even celebrities have bad hair days. This just happened to be a good hair day for Martina, thanks to Richard!

5 Comments:

Blogger KC said...

Wouldn't you actually hate to have a stranger in your room to fix your hair after your shower and hate to have to care that much whether or not you were having a bad hair day. I'm glad, for Richard's sake, that she was interesting and pleasant.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

KC -- I would hate dealing with the media or strangers under any circumstances, but sports stars are used to it. Hair probably doesn't matter so much until after they retire from "the game." As for Richard, he was getting paid enough to even put up with some unpleasantness, but his good fortune was that he didn't need to as he sat in the Four Seasons suite and waited to be called into action. He gave me great new restaurant suggestions which we must try!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What an interesting day! I think I'd like my own hair stylist from time to time - I could use the help - but for the most part, I wouldn't have the patience for it. How'd you like your own cut and style?

10:01 AM  
Blogger Water Baby said...

I agree with kristin, I don't have the patience to sit there while someone plays with my hair in the morning. I usually get out of the shower and leave my hair wet to air dry on it's own. I guess I'm going to have to change that in the next few years when I get a real job out of college...

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhh!!!! this sounds like a dream come true - I am always telling my hair stylist how envious I am of his wife that she gets to have a professional to style her hair each morning!

He confessed, "I wouldn't touch a hair on her head ... !" It appears that there ARE limits to what a great stylist can and cannot do. I promptly offered him the job ... he graciously declined. Sigh.

red, still in search of a personal stylist for the 6am wake up calls

xxx

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home