Saturday, February 02, 2008

Poetry Day, 2008

In honor of Groundhog Day, here is a poem from “Questions About Angels” by Billy Collins. It could be read in the context of my Blog!

Cliche

My life is an open book. It lies here
on a glass tabletop, its pages shamelessly exposed,
outspread like a bird with hundreds of thin paper wings.

It is a biography, needless to say,
and I am reading and writing it simultaneously
in a language troublesome and private.
Every reader must be a translator with a thick lexicon.

No one has read the whole thing but me.
Most dip into the middle for a few paragraphs,
then move on to other shelves, other libraries.
Some have time only for the illustrations.

I love to feel the daily turning of the pages,
the sentences unwinding like string,
and when something really important happens,
I walk out to the edge of the page
and, always the student,
make an asterisk, a little star, in the margin.

10 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Even I haven't read the whole of my personal biography, and, too, it keeps changing, even the things that have already happened. Wow. Thank you.

Check out Lettuce Eating's poem - it feels related to me.

8:37 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

billy's poem could be the theme song for many of us here in the blogging community.

wandered over from reya's puppy. love what I've found!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- Thanks for being the initiator of this day of poetry exchange. It's as good as waking up to a pile of Christmas presents to go around reading what everyone chose to contribute.

Kimy -- I'm delighted to welcome you to my Blog. I've followed you for a while through The Goldpuppy. Come back any time!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Colette Amelia said...

Wow this is amazing. I posted a poem before I even knew it was the day to post a poem. I am in the groove and didn't even know it!

Thanks to Kimy for passing it on.

love your blog Barbara!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Colette -- I feel as though I have met a long-lost friend when I look at your Blog. I'm always happy to discover new Blog friends.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know this poem, but I think it is stunning. Thank you so much for sharing it.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Table Talk -- Yes, I know what you mean. The poem spoke to me in a way none of the others I recently read and re-read did. Often the appeal of a poem has to do with where we are on life's journey.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Lizl Bennefeld said...

O...what a nice surprise!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Hammer said...

I like the visual of the final verses - great selection!

4:54 PM  
Blogger deborahoak said...

Thanks for participating, and this poem is new to me...wonderful!! Yes, it so speaks to the blogging experience. Thank you!x

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home