Saturday, June 28, 2008

Longing for 20-20

Ever since I got my first pair of glasses at 17, I have had excellent vision (with my glasses on), sometimes even better than 20-20. I was always the one who could see the road signs well in advance of everyone else. But I panicked today as my right eye just didn’t quite make it.

For the past few months I have sensed something shifting in my vision. I got new progressive lenses, but I just haven’t had that same crispness to the distance vision and threading a needle has become a challenge.

Yesterday when I went in for my annual eye exam, the technician tried all sorts of combinations to improve my vision. But our dialog was a series of Better? No, Better? No, Better? No.

In a panic, I realized I couldn’t read that last line that I always whizzed by in the past. What’s wrong with my right eye? I asked. The doctor will discuss it with you, she replied.

I really do worry because the reason I have an annual appointment is to check for melanoma on the back of my eye. What if????

Dr. Kolsky checked my eyes and confirmed that I have tiny “age-appropriate” cataracts. He said the one on my right eye may have gotten a tiny bit bigger, thereby causing my slightly less than 20-20 vision. No need for surgery at this point, he said.

I’ll take a cataract over a melanoma any day, even if it spoils my perfect vision score. But I am still somewhat bummed by yet another sign that I am moving toward OLD. I keep wondering what life will be like when I finally get there...

5 Comments:

Blogger lettuce said...

tis a bummer, isn't it? theres an increasing range of things i now wont even attempt without my glasses on and i'm not quite so quick to take them off again as i used to be....

hard to believe that i used to read some of those tiny weeny lists of ingredients with no aid at all - and funny how one's perspective shifts

11:57 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lettuce -- It would seem our bodies are in a constant state of evolution as we go through life!

Yes, it's the inability to read the fine print that I miss...

12:03 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Getting older manifests in such little ways at first doesn't it? I noticed over the past few years that I don't spring up quite as fast after sitting on the floor with my students as I once did.

And the issues hit every part of our bodies; from the inner workings to the outer appearance. I am finding that it is best to avoid or stave off the things you can (by exercise and maintenance such as regular check-ups) but then accept the rest. It sounds like the AA motto but it does bring a certain peace.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary -- The ability to "spring up" was indeed the first to go. But as you say, acceptance does bring a certain peace that affirms the continuation of life, albeit a little slower.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

My 81-year-old grandmother and I were just sharing lamentations about aging. It's amazing how much we have in common on the subject.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home