Saturday, October 11, 2008

Morphing a Picnic

So how did a picnic in the park turn into sangria on the deck? It was indeed a variation on the picnic theme.

In August Lemmonex had invited me to join her in hosting a DC Bloggers picnic for foodies and those who sometimes write about food. I jumped at the chance to have a meet-up of Bloggers in a space that would allow us to hear one another!

We paid $7 to rent a picnic site in Rock Creek Park that was near a Metro stop and had a bathroom. We advertized our intentions on DC Blogs and expected as many as 50 people to jump at the chance to spend a mosquito-free afternoon on a beautiful day eating gourmet picnic food with other Bloggers.

But hardly anyone expressed interest. Maybe it was because it was a holiday weekend. Maybe people were still away after spending the High Holidays with family. For whatever reason, they just weren’t interested.

But Lemmonex and I share a determination despite the fact that I am over twice as old as she is. Instead of cancelling the picnic, we simply moved the small band of interested people onto my deck.

I picked up Lemmonex and Bozoette at the Metro. Kristin and Aileen came under their own steam. We enjoyed Stilton and pears while we drank sangria and waited for the chicken to cook on the grill.

We had a smorgasbord of salads and sides to accompany the BBQed chicken, including couscous with ratatouille, potato salad, beet salad, humous, and garbanzo bean salad. For dessert we had homemade zucchini and banana bread, brownies, and pumpkin pie with real whipped cream.

And did I mention that my husband was thrilled to have the company of so many attractive, intelligent women while he cooked the chicken?

I’m always amazed that Bloggers fall right into a steady stream of conversation with never a silent moment. The topics covered the economy, movies, the election, Blogging ethics, with a lot of “Do you know ____?” thrown in.

It was nice to have dinner out of the way early so one person could go on to a hockey game, the two youngest could go on to parties, and the rest of us could just enjoy the evening without needing to eat another bite.

I’m so glad we were able to salvage the picnic idea and turn it into something that accomplished the same thing (minus the Frisbee and croquet) in a different venue. I’m so grateful for my Blogger friends!

19 Comments:

Blogger GEWELS said...

Rats! I am so sorry I missed such a good time. Thanks so much for the invitation. If my life weren't ridiculous right now I would have so enjoyed to join you.
Glad you all had such a great time!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gewels -- We missed you! I will make you some dynamite sangria if and when we do get together.

Can't we convince our friend Steve to come north on his well-earned vacation?

9:05 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

It sounds like another Maypole event -- without the Maypole, this time. :)

9:12 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- The Maypole was still there, a reminder for a couple of us of how very much has happened and changed since that day in May when we all made secret wishes and danced around holding onto ribbons.

9:18 PM  
Blogger e said...

Sounds like a great time. I've tried to convince our mutual friend to have us all meet up in your neck of the woods, but never got a response...

I hope you got some rest. I'm still working on that!

9:42 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

E -- I'm sure if you were to come visit me, our mutual friend would come down to see both of us! You have a standing invitation. In fact usually we have two empty rooms in our house.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

So sorry I missed this - maybe next time. Thanks for inviting me!

1:48 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- We may just have to have a second picnic on the deck for those of you who wanted to come but had other obligations!

I love Blogger functions!

2:34 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Wish I lived within reasonable traveling distance. I sure would have loved to be in on those conversations! (Not to mention dinner!)

8:14 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- One of these days, I am going to have to get you down here. We can have a Blogger get-together to welcome you to DC!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Lemmonex said...

It was such a great time...thanks for opening your home, Barbara.

This is why I love blogging--I have met so many interesting and fun people who I never would have crossed paths with!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lemmonex -- Thank you for letting the show go on despite a rather disappointing response to our initial idea. It was fun to see you again!

Maybe summer is a better time for a real picnic...

9:19 AM  
Blogger Aileen said...

OK, first of all, I'm impressed that Lemmonex beat me to commenting on this considering the fact that she is probably nursing a well-worth-it hangover! :)

Thanks Barbara for a lovely get-together, it was great meeting new people...

And I'm thinking about holding a Blogger Brunch sometime in the next few months, what do you think?

11:37 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Aileen -- Yes, yes, yes to a Blogger brunch! Great idea!

11:53 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

Barbara, I had a lovely time -- thanks so much for encouraging me to join you all. (And I'm so glad you like the pie! Whew!)

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I could have been there! And I'm sure the quality of the company far outweighed the quantity. ;-)

6:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Bozoette -- You will be happy to know that I was able to supply dessert for our book club tonight thanks to you. They raved about the second pumpkin pie and the leftover brownies and zucchini and banana bread. Hope the hockey game was good!

Betty Joan -- We missed you at our gathering. The quality of the group was excellent! Maybe next time we can coerce you into a trip north to join us.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Thank you for such a wonderful night! I'm a little slow on the uptake - I lost a day there - but I thought about the dinner all weekend. Of course, I was also full all weekend, which might have been part of it.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I'm glad you could squeeze the "picnic" into your very busy schedule. We continued to enjoy your potato salad and your zucchini and banana bread with friends last night!

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home