Monday, September 28, 2009

Liberating the Soul


On Yom Kippur we Jews confront our sins of the past year. Our new rabbi Esther gave us a mantra to use as we consider each of them and then let it go:

I don’t want to waste my soul on this any more.

For the grudges I hold against those who have knowingly or unknowingly slighted me...
I don’t want to waste my soul on this any more.

For the obsessive thoughts I have allowed my mind to replay like a loop tape...
I don’t want to waste my soul on this any more.

For the jealousies I feel toward those who have achieved things I have not...
I don’t want to waste my soul on this any more.

I’m sure this list will grow as I study, pray, and reflect today on this holiest of holy days.

I would like to think my soul could be put to better use in the coming year.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

Though I am not Jewish, I like this Day of Atonement (at-one-ment). I have to work (I'm not paid if I don't) and there are always after school must-dos but still, I will take some time to reflect on these things you mention and conduct my own ceremony. Thanks for sharing.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Liberating the soul sounds like a great way to start the new year.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great practice, B! Thanks for sharing some of these personal spiritual reflections and intentions. I know we'll continue to support each other in our respective ongoing "balancing acts"...

XO,

F.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Barbara, even the non-religious among us can learn from that.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Days later, I'm still thinking of this. I really like it.

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home