Tuesday, September 01, 2009

My bags are packed, I'm ready to go (almost)


This week I finally get to take the trip to San Francisco that had been planned for the week I broke my hip last January. I’m slightly paranoid about what could go wrong between now and 6:10 AM when I fly out of BWI. Yikes! For starters, I have to get there by 4:30 in the morning.


(lovely Victorian homes on Alamo Square, near my daughter's house)

This is a mother-daughter bonding trip, where I will be able to stay in my daughter’s group house for a few days. I’m sure I will relive my long-ago experience at group living, that brings with it great camaraderie as well as issues like who is responsible for cleaning and taking out the trash.

While my daughter is at work, I will have some time to luxuriate in the company of 3 people I met through Blogging -- 2 anons and Kellyann, who writes about all aspects of her life including her husband Mr. R and her speech kiddos. It will be so interesting to be able to sit across from people who have previously been connected with me only electronically. I have always contended there is no substitute for face-to-face conversation.

I’m both excited and apprehensive about the trip. I realize how much I take for granted when we travel -- that my husband will deal with tickets, car rental arrangements, using his iPhone skills to find whatever we need in a strange city. But I too have an iPhone now and it’s about time I re-established my ability to be independent!

I’m determined to carry on whatever I take, so today I will start to make a pile of the things to go in my little suitcase. As my husband was quick to remind me, it’s a civilized place where I can buy just about anything I forget to take.

Does anyone know if you can bring a container of yogurt on the plane? I’m packing breakfast because I’m sure no meals will be served at the price I am paying!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun!
Sure you can take yogurt on the plane. You just have to buy it after you get through security. You look suspiciously like the type who would put subversive, explosive substances in a yogurt container. Good thing they will make sure you don't have more than 3.2 oz container of toothpaste. I imagine you could replace your whitening agent for some much more dangerous gel.
Enjoy the frisking at o'dark thirty tomorrow morning and have fun with our daughter.
FL

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opps. YOUR daughter. I'm always misplacing those elusive Ys.
FL

2:35 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

FL -- Yes, she is still MY daughter; what a difference a Y makes!

Rats! I bought some great yogurt today to take with me. I never can find plain yogurt at the airport. Won't my joint replacement card exempt me from this craziness?!

2:50 PM  
Anonymous lr said...

Hooray, I'm glad you're finally getting to have this long postponed bonding event. Honestly those travel jitters seem to crop up for me when ever I travel anywhere. It seems so silly, but I guess we've all had enough snafus in our traveling experience that we're a bit wary each time. Have a wonderful trip!! I look forward to your travelogue and pictures.

3:05 PM  
Blogger lacochran said...

Of course you can manage. Have a wonderful trip! :)

3:17 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Have fun in Cali!

3:52 PM  
Anonymous restaurant refugee said...

Have a wonderful trip. I will give you the only piece of travel advice that I have found to be almost universally true: almost any information you need can be found at a good tobacconist.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait!!

Hope you get a good night's sleep your first night in SF (sweet dreams!)...

F.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Have a great time!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Wishing you a safe, wonderful trip.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Have a wonderful time.

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Lettuce said...

have a great time!

sounds wonderful, not least the meeting bloggers, I love that.

btw, on made4aid theres a post about knitting/felting bags, with some links etc... - just in case you didn't see it, as you said you were interested in having a go.

7:39 AM  
Blogger karen said...

Have a wonderful trip, Barbara!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Have a great time! Can't wait to see the photos!

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home