Monday, August 08, 2011

Banana Tales


When my children were young, I was amazed to read that bananas are good for both diarrhea and constipation. My son’s first word was one he invented for “banana” and to this day he has been able to consume however many bananas we have in our house.

When I was working, anyone who ever attended a mid-morning meeting with me knew that I would bring a banana along for a snack. But since I retired, I got out of that mid-morning banana habit.

Lately I have been feeling unusually tired. It has required a lot of effort to do ordinary things and I have felt like taking a nap most any time of the day.

As I headed out to a noontime meeting today and it seemed too early to eat lunch, I grabbed a banana. I had finished it by the time I was getting onto I-395 to head north into the city. I suddenly noticed my dull headache was gone and I felt much more energetic.

Could it really have been that I was suffering from a lack of potassium, something bananas are rich in? I determined to try this little experiment again tomorrow and the next day to see if a banana a day can really make such a difference.

If so, that’s an easy and nutritious fix to fatigue. Much healthier and longer-lasting than a cup of coffee!

5 Comments:

Blogger e said...

It's a good bet since your lethargy and headache subsided. Are you getting enough water during this heatwave?

10:28 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I`ll eat a banana right now!

7:57 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

I'm back on the banana boat, too. For me, bananas prevent painful cramps in my feet and toes. When my toes start cramping, I know it's time to start eating bananas again!

9:31 AM  
Blogger karen said...

Wow! Impressive.. I've been enjoying catching up as ever. Can't find your older posts as my connection is a bit slow today, but good to read all your thoughts as ever!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

All -- Day 2 and another banana and I feel like $1 million. My doctor friend reminded me that with the heat we lose a lot of electrolytes as we sweat. Maybe that was why my potassium was low? I don't know the full story. I only know that a daily banana seems to fix whatever is off.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home