Thursday, September 22, 2011

Bikes




For the past couple of years I have been feeling afraid of riding my bicycle. It was mostly a fear of falling off, something I never did before breaking my hip.

Earlier this week I decided to put away that fear. I had to take my Sequoia Specialized to the bike shop to pump up the tires that were flat as pancakes. Upon bringing it home I tentatively got on and everything felt wobbly. Was it me or the bike?

Back to the bike store where the tech rode it and determined the handlebars were loose. Finally yesterday I tried again and remembered why I loved my bike so much.

My husband has recently decided to look at electric bikes -- bikes that give you an assist when you need it. The best store he found is in NYC, so guess where we are headed right now.

I started wondering if I should also think of getting another bike, perhaps not a speedy road bike like the one I have, but rather a comfort bike. I would certainly welcome a step-through frame, but do I really want 10 or more extra pounds? The Sequoia weighs in at just under 20 pounds.

Then I remembered my other most favorite bike, a Peugeot with a mixte frame. I can't remember where this bike went, but I'm sure I was lured into thinking a hybrid was a more versatile bike.

I decided to Google "Peugeot mixte for sale" and much to my surprise I realized there is a booming market for vintage bikes like my old Peugeot. While we are in NYC I will look at the yellow Peugeot below being sold by Peter in Brooklyn.

Peter, who seems quite well versed in bikes old and new, told me about a current day bike with a mixte frame made by Linus, a company in California. I should say "made FOR Linus" since virtually every bike is made in China these days.

So while in the city, we will stop into Bicycle Habitat, which promises to have just about every new bike for sale today.

The only bad news here is it's supposed to rain the entire time we are in New York AGAIN!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 Comments:

Blogger e said...

Good luck in your search. I have been looking to try out an arm bike or handi-cycle, but there are none here to try before you buy and no safe place for riding them around where I live.

As we have the highest ratio of car to bike accidents here, my immediate reaction to bikes is yikes.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss riding a bike (it's been at least 30 years). There's been a real upsurge in ridership in my area amongst 20- and 30-somethings, despite the dangerous conditions. Good luck in your quest! I applaud you facing your fear. Stay safe and dry...

F.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous jamy said...

I just bought a Linus step-through frame and I really like it. Their mixte is nice too. The extra weight can actually make the ride feel more stable/comfortable and as long as you're not in a hurry, it's no big deal. The bikes are still under 30lbs, which isn't too heavy. I did get the 8-speed HUB, and with that you can basically take on any hill.

Also, they sell Linus at Capitol Hill Bikes! So if you don't make up your mind in NY, you can get one here. :)

4:30 PM  
Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

Good for you for getting back on that horse--er, bike! :)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Awww, have fun on my old home turf! I liked having Dave's bike when we were in New Jersey, but now I'm bikeless again. :(

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home