Monday, August 06, 2012

A Year of Goodbyes

All good things must come to an end.  The old Volvo was just plain worn out after 27 years of faithful service.  Last Wednesday I tried repeatedly to keep it running as I attempted to back out of the driveway to go pick up our CSA share.  But to no avail.

Ironically I had just taken it in the day before for an oil change.  While there, they performed a 27-point inspection and pronounced it alive and well.  But alas, on closer inspection the very next day the timing belt appeared quite worn and there were many other potential reasons why it wouldn't keep running.

So WETA is the recipient of old car.  This morning it was being loaded onto this big truck for the next part of its journey.  The guy hauling it away said it would be auctioned off.  I wonder who will buy it and whether it will be fixed up to keep running or dismantled for antique parts.

In any case, we are off to go car shopping this morning.  It will be the first time in many years that I will be driving a new car.  I'm sure I will enjoy that new car shine and smell, but I may also miss the periodic application of the duct tape that became so much a part of the old Volvo's character.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

27 years is a good run!

What kind of car are you thinking about? I have a MINI and it is small and zippy.

Glad to see you posting!

12:25 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

You certainly can't complain that the Volvo died too soon! You kept it going a remarkable amount of time.

I loved my Honda Fit, for what it's worth. I wish you'd needed a car eight months ago -- I would have sold it to you! :)

2:49 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Hope whatever car you get develops an old Volvo personality!

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home