Friday, June 15, 2012

Lunch on the Water


Today was my annual paddleboat outing at the Tidal Basin.  It was the most perfect day, with a nice breeze and billowy clouds.  The sun was out but not too hot.  My paddling partner was my friend of many years, Doug.  He is one of the few people who appreciates the old Volvo wagon as much as I do.


We paddled out into the middle of the Tidal Basin where we drifted not too far from the newly open MLK Memorial while we ate our lunch.  I had made curried kohlrabi with peas over rice.  (I added sweet curry powder and mustard seeds to the recipe, but otherwise followed it completely.)  We aslo had sugar snap peas from Polyface Farm and fresh peaches and strawberries with a few squares of dark chocolate for dessert.


A nice addition to the boats was the white canopy which kept the sun from becoming too intense while out on the water.  It was a good cardio workout paddling against the current, but certainly more pleasant than an hour on an exercise bike.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

Sounds fun. I've never been out on the water in the tidal basin, as many times as I've been to DC.

I went through a period in college where every week I would buy a mysterious piece of produce at the supermarket to try it. Kohlrabi was my purchase one of those weeks. I think I just stir fried it, but I can't really remember. That curry recipe sounds great!

3:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love paddle boats! There's a reservoir about 20' away where you can rent them. Thanks for the reminder! :-)

F.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home