Friday, December 31, 2004

The World of BLOG

Yesterday I received a comment on my BLOG site from a stranger. I ruminated all day long about how this could happen. How could this person I don’t know find me and have the nerve to read my stuff and comment on it? It was not a derogatory comment, but it still bothered me.

I finally figured out last night that by commenting on someone else’s BLOG and not doing so anonymously, I have passed on my BLOG address to anyone who reads my comment! So I am the culprit here. Or is that exactly the intention of this whole concept of BLOG?

BLOGSPOT.COM has effectively linked together an infinite number of people, some of whom know each other, and most of whom do not. Most people have absolutely zero interest in reading what a stranger writes, so I thought.

But then I started playing the same game, reading comments on other BLOGs and learning more about the commentor. You’d be surprised how much GOOGLE knows about us all. It is seductive to enter someone else’s (sometimes weird) world and tip-toe around just taking it in.

The real question is whether this realization will change the way I write. I hope to God that it will not, because my intention in doing this was to write for myself, perhaps sharing my writing with a few people I trust and value. If the rest of the world happens upon my BLOG site from time to time, I hope they enjoy what they find and, if not, I hope they are polite enough not to leave a trail...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home