Monday, July 18, 2005

Making Music at Chautauqua

Today I went to sign up for adult chamber music, somewhat tentatively. It seemed like absolute chaos. Finally it was decided that I would play some piece for double bass-piano with Deborah and I would play in a quintet to do a sonata from Telemann. The piano part actually didn't appear to be too daunting. I was still not ready to make any promises about whether or not I would be ready to play it by Saturday.

I am going to be playing the piano a lot here. Our quintet practices from 10:30 - 12 noon each day. I have individual time from 1-3 and 6-7 each day, some of which will be with Deborah. That's 4-1/2 hours a day! A real record for me.

My first few read throughs of the Telemann actually went quite well. It will be interesting to see how it sounds with all the instruments tomorrow. I started worrying less about making mistakes and thinking more about how very cool it will be to play with 4 other people.

My little group may not ever remember my piano playing, but they will remember that I found them an air-conditioned practice room in the midst of a heat wave here at Chautauqua. In the end, that may be a perfect memory.

Bill Vaughan coached Deborah and me for a long time this afternoon. It really helps to have someone who plays both instruments well and knows the pieces we are playing to help us.

I'm missing David incredibly, but having the musical time of my life here at Chautauqua!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dsquared said...

The part about this entry I liked the best was the last sentence! likewise. :-)

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home