Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I Can See Clearly Now

I finally picked up my newly re-made glasses today, fearing that once again they might not be right. After all, there are an infinite number of ways that progressive lenses can be oh-so-wrong.

I went in and Ron carefully took all sorts of measurements before actually cutting the new lenses to fit my frames. While he worked, I sat there with my sunglasses on reading Othello, the play we are reading for the GDS book club on Wednesday night, and wondering at all the noises of cutting and polishing going on in the back room.

As soon as I slipped on the new glasses, my eyes relaxed and said THANK YOU! The instant visual clarity reminded me of when I was 17 and put on glasses for the first time and suddenly the world came into sharp focus.

I think it is so remarkable that our eyes adjust to compensate for just about any problem. When I was 17, my eyes were working overtime to give me the right picture. Recently my eyes were trying to make up for the fact that my progressive lenses were not centered properly, causing me to have to slightly cross them to get a clear picture. The interesting thing is that we never know how actually clouded our vision is until we have something to compare it to.

Maybe there is a parallel in my life. I look in the mirror today and compare that image to the sad face on my badge from two years ago. My vision isn’t the only thing that has improved!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home