Saturday, April 08, 2006

A Day of Leisure

Shabbat in Jerusalem is a nice way to end a trip to Israel. No formal activities are planned because most everything is closed. We were able to sleep late, have a leisurely breakfast, and then head off to look for Palestinian pottery.

We walked through the Old City to get to the Damascus Gate, the closest gate to the pottery store and factory. This took us through the Arab souk, which is always teeming with people. There are veiled women, lots of small children, people pushing carts piled high with merchandise, and everyone is on the lookout for the naïve American tourist who doesn’t know how to bargain. Not having the intention to buy anything but pottery, we had bought a small wood chess set for Dan, a string of supposedly real turquoise beads, three bottles of wonderfully smelling oils, and a container of spices that the Arabs her sprinkle on bread. At one point in our trip through the souk, I panicked when I couldn’t find any of the 9 other people I was with. This is definitely not a good place for someone who suffers from claustrophobia.

Outside the Damascus Gate we regrouped and then began to search for 14 Nablus Road, the address of Palestinian Pottery, which we found tucked away on a small one-way street.

We entered to see women hand-painting the pieces. There were so many possible choices, all colorfully painted and not terribly expensive. This was more the level of souvenirs we had expected to find.

Pottery in hand, we headed back to Jaffa Gate for a final meal of mezza dishes and grilled meat. The “special price” included sweet thick Arab coffee. Good fuel for the uphill climb back to our hotel.

I wonder how many miles a day I have been walking? I’m sure I have registered more miles on this trip than during the entire last year. It makes me vow to continue when I get home, despite my fears of falling. If I could negotiate all of the rocks and uneven pavement and hills that I have on t his trip, I can do just about anything back home.

Shabbat shalom and goodbye to Israel. I’m sure it won’t be my last trip.

1 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Wow what a pic.

Welcome home!

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home