Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Blogging as Networking

When I agreed to chair the 2006 High Holy Days for Temple Micah, it never occurred to me that my Blog might prove to be a source of volunteer help. But that has definitely turned out to be the case.

My good friend Reya who introduced me to Blogging encouraged me to take this daunting job, telling me "I’ll help you. I’m good at schlepping!" So when I realized that the person who had polished the silver for decades had died last year, I had the perfect job for her. Polishing all those Torah breastplates will give her a connection to the Torah that most people never get!

The job of arranging for childcare was looming large. Most of my close friends at Temple Micah don’t have young children. YIKES! But then I remembered an anonymous TM member who had left encouraging messages on my Blog during my radiation crisis earlier this year and had finally revealed her name to me. Even though I have never met her, I knew that she had an adorable 6-year-old who would probably need childcare. PERFECT! So I called her and she willingly agreed to be responsible for childcare arrangements.

I still have lots of unclaimed volunteer jobs. My goal is to find a bunch of responsible people to shoulder the many jobs that need to be done. So if you happen to be a TM member reading this (like Prod&Ponder or Imaginary Girl, for example) and you are just waiting to be asked, consider yourself asked and let me know how you can help.

What a pleasant surprise that my Blog could be of such a big help in this totally unrelated segment of my life! BLOGGERS RULE!

3 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I'm pro-blogging, but honey you are sooo resourceful. If it wasn't the blog, you'd figure out other ways to draw people in and find the perfect job for them. See you in a bit!

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't you clever and resourceful :-) I'm not yet sure what my schedule is going to work out to be with my new job in Baltimore. Once I do (September or so), I'll check in with you to see if any of the work is a fit. If you ever need short photography work though, count me in.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

John -- I take this as a semi-offer! And I definitely now know where to find a photographer if Danny would ever let us take pictures...

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home