Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Second Time Around


Most things are easier after the first time. Chanting the Torah is certainly no exception. The butterflies that swarmed my stomach last year had flown away. And I was not even tossed out for my questionably disrespectful d’var torah (sermon).

I decided to read my post from earlier this week and to talk about the various comments it had evoked. The author of one of those comments was in the congregation. As I sat down after chanting from Pinchas and making my remarks, my husband’s first question was “Who gave you comment #3?” After the service he paid our friend the supreme compliment, “Now you are MY rabbi!” She beamed in appreciation.

People were intrigued with the idea of using a Blog to supply sermon material. Two people came up and asked me my Blog address after the service. What a way to attract new readers!

As much as I enjoy the discipline of practicing the Torah and Haftarah chanting, I am just as happy to take a break, especially given the looming responsibility of the High Holy Days, which are fast approaching.

Many thanks to my friend Lynn for inviting me to chant with her today. We were a good team. Maybe we’ll do it again next year. And thanks to those of you who shared your ideas with me!

4 Comments:

Blogger Old Lady said...

Congratulations on your success!
Please tell me what the picture is.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks! The picture is Internet art that contains the words "Mazel tov" in Hebrew (good luck, congratulations).

6:20 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Generally, doing something gets easier with time. When I first starting being a lector at church, I was extremely nervous, my knees would barely support me, I had to hang onto the podium - over time it passed and I am quite comfortable speaking or reading in front of large groups.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

A nice accomplishment! Isn't it good to find that our age, we can still take on new things and broaden our life experience? Life continues to be enriching!

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home