Tuesday, August 01, 2006

What Do You Read?

As we rode out to Wolf Trap last night, we were having such an intense discussion about our daily Blog reading list that we managed to miss the Wolf Trap exit. I’m embarrassed to say that we were in the Prius with its God damned GPS system. I cannot bring myself to listen to Monique in either French or English, so I never turn it on. But that’s fodder for another post.

After swearing that we read each other’s Blogs every day, it turns out that each of us has definite favorites, not necessarily in the DC Blogs community. It then becomes an issue of whether you stick with the same list and follow those Blogs, or whether you just hit them occasionally to check in.

There are certain Blogs where I feel I’ve missed a chapter if I skip a post. I devour those voraciously. Then there are others where I know if I visit, I will find something worth reading, but it is not necessary to read the ones that I missed. There are a few who seldom post any longer and I therefore check less frequently.

I tend to read Blogs on which I would at least occasionally feel comfortable leaving a comment. Otherwise I feel like a stalker who just doesn’t belong. Sometimes I go back and look for a response to my comment, especially if it was a question.

My list of favs continues to bump up the average age. The ones in my generation are pretty much spread around the country and around the world. I don’t always want to feel like someone’s mother when I read.

I keep wondering what my Blogging experience will be like in a year. In December it will be 2 years for me, with a post most every day. I will continue this only if it never becomes an obligation to write. It won’t have anything to do with my audience because for almost a year I seldom had a comment. Not that I’m flooded with comments now, but my StatCounter tells me that someone out there is reading.

I wonder who will still be in the game in a year, who will have bailed, who will be new? It’s sort of like a population of shadows that are always moving. Don’t you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I use bloglines to consolidate my favorite blogs. Others, I'll just hit on occasion. I probably split my list between local and removed. Some of the writers I know. Others, I've never met, may never meet.

I've changed my list over the three (3!) years of blogging and have changed my own approach to writing. It's definitely a work in progress, as am I.

You remind me that I should respond to my comments more often. They do make me think, and sometimes to write a post in response. Occasionally, I'll email. I'm terrible, though; especially given that I appreciate them all.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

You amaze me in that you make the time in your busy day to write every day and read many others as well. I find it difficult to blog daily and I don't just want to write fluff from the dryer but some days I'm guilty of that. I like reading a slice of someone else's life, if not just to broaden my perspective and see where I fit into the Grand Scheme.

I imagine I'll keep doing it for awhile yet.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home