Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Boston Connection

What will they think when a Comair flight attendant empties the contents of her luggage into the backseat of a Volvo with VA plates tomorrow AM and hands our daughter the black pea coat over her arm before disappearing back into the terminal at Logan Airport?

My oldest best friend FL had an overnight in DC today before heading up to Boston tomorrow. As we were having a leisurely dinner, I was bemoaning the fact that I had never gone through the boxes of winter clothes our daughter had sent home at the beginning of the summer to send her some sweaters and scarves and socks befitting Boston weather.

Then a light bulb went off and we cooked up a scheme to have her things personally delivered during FL’s 2 hour layover in Boston. I now have all of her spare underwear, her bathing suit, and all the other things that she will NOT need during her 4 legs of flying tomorrow. And she has a suitcase packed with an assortment of sweaters that would not fit either one of us even in a pinch.

She will come home with an empty suitcase and I will deliver its original contents to her hotel tomorrow night when she collapses back in DC after a hard day’s work serving Diet Coke and peanuts to Monday’s travelers to and from Boston.

FL is the mother of 4 who became a flight attendant just in the past year. She is not making a lot of money but she is having a great time finding a new independence and visiting her children who are scattered all over the country. She understands how important it is for a 22-year-old to have her winter clothes and was only too happy to be the courier.

The only glitch would be if for some reason her schedule is changed and FL doesn't return to DC tomorrow night. But we are thinking positively...

I suppose this is just one more thing on the job description of a best friend. We had a wonderful visit and I get to see her again tomorrow. What more could I ask?

7 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Invention said...

You gotta love it when a plan comes together! Cool that your friend took up a new career at such a late stage in her life. Don't think I'd have had the courage. My husband teaches anatomy etc. to a lot of people, (mostly women)in the Massage Therapy course and for many it is a new direction. Very cool people.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Great logistics! Guys would never do something like that!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- You would love my friend FL. She has done a lot of interesting things over the past few years -- like taking up tap and salsa dancing. She is one of the coolest people I know. (The really interesting thing is that we are the same age to the day -- both Capricorns!)

OL -- You are so right. My husband looked at both of us like we were nuts when we hatched this plan. But then he pitched right in to sort through the boxes and decide what to send, insisting on wool socks!

The best news is THE PLAN WORKED! They had a rendez-vous in the drivethrough of Terminal A at Logan Airport. My daughter now has her clothes and FL has an empty suitcase until I meet up with her later tonight. What fun!

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And if there are things you didn't send, I will spend Columbus weekend there, so feel free to load me up.

After planning and executing HH at your temple, this little maneuver doesn't surprise me at all!

Beautifully thought out and executed by all three of you. (Can't leave your daughter out since she actually picked up her clothes!)

Kate

4:23 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

How clever! If I have logistical problems in the future, I'm calling you!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- Completely on the up-and-up despite the cloak and daggers!

Kate -- Thanks for the offer. She is coming home that same weekend and will claim the things that didn't fit in FL's flight bag!

Pauline -- If there is one thing I'm good at, it's figuring out how to make things happen...

9:25 PM  
Blogger Red said...

I'm inspired by your friend FL.

Thank you!

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home