Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Reading My Way Home


I can recall just a few books that I read cover to cover, stopping only for a bathroom break. Among them, To Kill a Mocking Bird and Gone with the Wind. But today it was Sue Monk Kidd’s The Secret Life of Bees.

This was one of those days when time is warped as we added 6 hours to the usual 24, passing much of the day in transit.

I don’t ever sleep much on a daytime flight and I never seem to find the in-flight movies appealing.

As I read the opening chapter of this book set in rural South Carolina, I realized that although the story cleverly incorporated the habits of bees, the protagonist was actually a young girl with terrible guilt and a yearning to be loved.

I laughed and cried with Lily as she discovers the secret life of the mother she may well have killed, while coming to realize that skin color really matters very little when the heart is concerned.

What a perfect book to while away untold hours of travel time with a story that ultimately results in the rebirth of the queen mother in Lily’s heart, allowing her to survive a world fraught with pain.

This most unusual book gets my vote for a best read.

What was the last page-turner you read?

5 Comments:

Blogger wharman said...

Welcome back! I read Secret Life because a friend told me it reminded her of me. I don't know about that, but it was a good read. I read Indecision last week, nearly in one sitting. Great great read.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Welcome home! I LOVED France! Thanks...

I recently read The Rug Merchant by Meg Mullins and loved it! Secret Life of bees is on my bookshelf, already much read and beloved. If you liked that, try Alison McGhee's Shadow Baby.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

For fiction it was "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" by Mark Haddon about 2 years ago.

For non-fiction is was "The First Five Pages" by Noah Lukeman about 3 weeks ago.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Your blog was a "page-turner" during the last few weeks!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Ally said...

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers--I stayed up until 4 a.m. on a work night to finish it.

Your trip sounds fabulous.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home