Sunday, October 22, 2006

Hanging Out at Home

Today is a day of rest after a busy week packing in all the sights and sounds and tastes of Provence that we could possibly process. We slept in, only getting out of bed as the town clock rang 9 times. The day began as it always does – with a crisp cool breeze and a bright sun.

It was just right for sitting outside at Café Gaby to enjoy café au lait with an omelette aux herbes de Provence and a baguette with buerre and confiture. The residents of Lourmarin rode past, walked passed, joined us for Sunday brunch.




The walk back took us past a bookstore for children.

I think you need a house tour of Las Maison des Iris, which we call home in Lourmarin.

This is our upper patio with its outdoor grill.

The kitchen where the daube was cooked.

Our bedroom with the winding stairs to the upper level.

The stairs down to who knows where from our living area. Quentin -- If you are reading this, note the theraband, which I am using for my exercises every day!

Our bathroom with antique tub. David after his first bath -- "How do I get out of here?"

The balcony outside our bedroom.

The stove in our dining room.

Our courtyard as you enter La Maison des Iris.

As you can see, the bicycles are taking a day off as well. We’re all getting recharged for another week in this paradise in the south of France. Tomorrow we venture south to join the rich of Nice and Cannes. Then a few more days in Provence before heading north to Paris.


Meanwhile Kris and I are plotting to buy boots, gaucho pants, and any number of other splurges that would quickly run up any charge card, but would render us fit to join the fashion parade of Lourmarin.

10 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

What a beautiful house. Wow.

After all these delicious meals, how will you be able to eat regular old Washington DC food again??

8:59 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

It is a beautiful house, although strange things are missing -- like pots and pans. We have one skillet and 2 large heavy-lidded pans that can go in the oven. There are some microwave safe little casseroles. And we only have wine glasses, a good excuse to drink only wine!

I will sorely miss my big cup of cafe au lait with a baguette in the morning. The thought of going back to work already makes me ill...

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should be able to put a travel brochure together soon. Lovely pictures.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

A fabulous place! So pretty. And of course, they are figuring that you'll be going out for many meals, hence the lack of pots and pans!
You must feel like you're living the Life of Riley!

5:02 PM  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

You photos and descriptions have me longing for a vacation. I'm envious. As for the French hating Americans, I suspect most of that hate is directed at a fearless leader--The Shrub.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

What a lovely place. More than ever, I want to be the "fifth wheel!"

6:38 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

To Old Lady: I can hardly ever get on your blog! Is anyone else having this problem?! Quite strange!

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks lovely

3:33 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

So beautiful! I'd have trouble leaving.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

OL -- I'm not sure who would buy a travel brochure. It would be a different product if it were for sale!

MOI -- Yes, indeed, it is the Life of Riley, very unreal. In just 8 days, I will be like Cinderella.

JRT -- Welcome to my Blog. How did you find it? I think the supposed hatred of Americans by the French started well before W came to office.

Pauline -- You are welcome to join our Tour de France anytime. I'm sure Philippe would find a bike for you too.

John -- Glad to know you were passing through. Yes, it is lovely.

Kristin -- I will miss this place incredibly when I go home. But that's when memory becomes important. I can always return in my mind!

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home