Sunday, November 05, 2006

Reality Check

Adjusting from a big trip is a lot more than just getting over jetlag. The realization that there was not a photo op and a story ready to tell every hour of the day sent me into a tailspin yesterday. I was back to using Google images and felt like my creative well had run dry.

But then I realized that was an unreal life that could not have gone on much longer than 18 days without literally burning me out. It was fun and full of beautiful pictures everywhere I looked, but it was simply not real.

Today as I got up I noticed the fall leaves through the window in our bedroom. Hmm... now that’s worth a mention.

Then I went downstairs to greet my guys who are always at the gate waiting for me. Jake is perpetually exuberant. Dylan is slower and slower and knows not where he poops these days. He is simply the shell of a dog that is just about used up at 13. But they are dear and they are certainly worth coming home for.


I will dust off my music and head over to Deborah’s house to play together with her later today, remembering how much her bass does to compliment my piano part. I really missed our times together on the trip.

I’m slowly getting back to looking for the small things in life that make the day not so ho-hum. It may be a story on NPR, or the fox running past my window on the world where I write, or an interesting conversation with family or friends. This is reality and a life that will sustain me.

Home sweet home is the realest of worlds.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a hard time being without my 'babies'. I hope to get a digital camera for Christmas, then y'all will get to see my fambly!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Well, it's all relative...you seem to be slow right now but that's because you were in the fast lane for the past 3 weeks. You might have just deflated pretty quickly! No wonder you're looking towards a Thanksgiving dinner today! (Thanks for the comment on Cdn. Thanksgiving.) Only a few more weeks to wait!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Well, there are all kinds of reality. It was real enough when you were there, yes? And it was real in a sense to me when I read your words and looked at the pictures. If you payed that kind of attention to all that's around you at home, wouldn't you be as amazed by it all as you were in France, looking at things for the first time?

5:50 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

OL -- Digital cameras are wonderful and forgiving because they provide such easy do-overs. Can't wait to see your "family".

MOI -- Hope your celebration today was good.

Pauline -- Sometimes the things that surround us all the time are too familiar to seem as amazing as they really are.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

LOVE the pic out your window. That's excellent illustration of your thoughts. How great that you had such a fantastic vacation, and how wonderful that you're home now, rediscovering all the marvels of your life. Welcome back to the real world!

8:40 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- What I love about that window is it's almost like an ever-changing piece of artwork to look out at. The fall leaves are one of the best pictures.

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home