Thursday, December 14, 2006

Dessert Made Easy

Remember that "fondant au chocolat" that I raved about in France? The dessert for which I begged Steve to find me the recipe? Well, we found it at Trader Joe’s and it takes only one minute to prepare!

I was always the person who refused to use a cake mix, preferring instead to make everything from scratch. And bought desserts – they were simply synonymous with being lazy! That is, until I discovered that Trader Joe’s sells affordable desserts that would take me hours to make if I were to even attempt them.

This is just one more example of a TJ hit. My husband came up with this frozen wonder, which he pulled out of the freezer when we had last-minute guests over for dinner. The box contains 2 little containers of this chocolate cake that becomes warm and gooey and delicious with just one minute in the microwave. The cake is so rich that one "cup" of it can serve two people. I simply add a mixture of fresh berries and a dollop of vanilla or coffee ice cream and serve. Couldn’t be easier.

In my old age I’m finally learning to enjoy entertaining the easy way. I am spending less time in the kitchen cooking and cleaning up and more time sipping chilled white wine in the company of my guests.

Try this one – TJ’s Lava Cakes. You will see what I mean!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Trader Joe's rocks and I am all about saving time. I, too, used to think that I needed to make everything from scratch, do it myself, etc. I'm starting to realize that some things can be storebought and that friends like to contribute.

I look forward to TJ’s Lava Cakes. I think you just inspired a visit to the store. :)

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried one of these from scratch - YUM!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- At least there is now a TJ's in downtown DC.

Pauline -- I'll bet you make everything from scratch and love to do it. In truth, yours was undoubtedly better than the TJ variety but it certainly took more effort!

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen those done on "Take Home Chef" and "America's Test Kitchen." I don't think I'm ready to try one from scratch...I'm all for ready-to-bake ones!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

A store the other day gave me a free make it in a box lava cake mix and I don't really know what they are!

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I never got around to Trader Joe's to get those...but Giant has ones that are just as good. In the little black cups and everything. Top them with vanilla ice cream...addictive!

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home