Friday, February 09, 2007

Home Alone


I am faced with the rather unusual situation of being home alone this weekend. That prospect always scares me just a little.

When my children were young, there were times when I would have paid dearly for a weekend in my house without anyone else at home. There were a few times when a single room with 4 white walls would have been a delightful escape from the realities of life. But my children are grown and the stability of my current life seldom makes me want solitude.

The irony is my busy schedule and the fact that my husband's sleep schedule is so radically different from mine result in many weeks when during the week days we probably don't spend more than a couple of hours in each other's presence. But there are so many signs that he's there. The trash gets taken out. The dogs get fed and let out. The newspaper and mail are brought in each day. Some sort of dinner is usually available. I never go to bed without a big juicy kiss. And a warm body shares my bed for at least 4 hours that I am in it every night.

So I am wondering how I will use all this open time this weekend? Services at TM tomorrow and lunch after with a friend, playing music with Deborah on Sunday morning – those are the only things on my agenda. So will I tackle another housecleaning project (hopefully not resulting in the disaster of the last one)? Or will I practice the piano? Or will I curl up with a good book? Or will I rent a movie? (...probably not since I have yet to be curious about how to run the DVD machine.)

I must now think about things like getting home sometime during the day on Monday before yoga to let the dogs out to pee.

For more reasons than help with the dogs, I will welcome my husband home on Tuesday. I just hope his visit to see his ailing mother in Detroit is a positive experience.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I spend every weekend at home alone; though, I have to admit that I'm seldom home. Or alone.

I hope you enjoy the weekend and that the trip to Detroit goes well.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I've been alone for years now and love the solitary life. Have fun with your alone time and write us something about it - love reading your posts.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- It sounds to me like the only time you are home is to sleep and there is not even too much of that.

Pauline -- I will let you know about my weekend. I'm still in that state of anticipation where I can imagine doing so many things. I have a book picked out: Marley & Me by John Grogan, a birthday gift from my daughter. I'm not very good at down time, but I certainly need to get better at it before I contemplate retirement!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I have never really loved being all alone a few weekends a tear when my husband goes fishing or to ski races. I get creeped out at night. We have a big house/office. I don't like to think of having to deal with a tricky situation like with the cats.. and not having a car. I am getting more used to it. The time goes more quickly than you'd think. The weekend just sort of evolves and you will like it.
Of course,

I feel funny now...a bit wary of being alone now because I sometimes think I could have another heart attack and no oned would find me....but realistically, that would not likely happen.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I so enjoyed Marley and Me that I bought copies for several people on my Christmas list! It's a laugh out loud, weep in your soup kind of book. John Grogan is a masterful writer. Let me know what you think. Wish we were in close proximity enough to be in a book discussion group!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- Maybe you should wear one of those Alert beepers if you are by yourself just so you can be connected to help if you ever need it. I can easily understand your concern.

Pauline -- I too wish we could be in the same book group. I'll let you know how I like the dog book.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Dance naked around the house?
Sing at the top of your lungs?
Eat only dairy products all weekend?
Let the dogs run wild through the whole house?

Sounds like fun!!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Ooo-veg out woman! Pretend like you just smoked a doobie and sit still!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya, OL -- I have been doing many of the things you suggested -- won't say which ones. Maybe it would be better not to pretend...

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Reya,

How do you know she doesn't already dance around the house naked?

As long as she cleans up whatever mess the dogs make....

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home