Friday, April 20, 2007

The Boss at Her Best

I came as close to having the "exit conversation" with my boss as I will probably come before I leave. Out of the blue I received in invitation to come into her "inner sanctum" for a brief meeting.

She allegedly wanted to impress upon me her desire to look out for me in my retirement, thrusting under my nose a "separation clearance" form that must be signed showing I am not absconding with any official property when I leave on May 3.

She asked about my infamous Blackberry that as of a couple of months ago was still coming up duplicatively on someone's inventory sheet. I assured her the Blackberry had been turned in and that I had a piece of paper to prove it. She reminded me that I would not get one dollar of retirement pay until I was officially cleared. I will be so glad when this woman no longer has anything to hold over my head. She agreed to do the necessary "research" to clear my name.

I just couldn't pass up this rare opportunity of face-time to ask her if she had any regrets about anything that had happened over the past several months. Her answer – "Absolutely none."

Even though this left me in somewhat of a state of shock, I couldn't resist following it with another question – "Do you think you have treated me fairly?" Instead of giving me a direct answer, she simply reiterated her intolerance with employees that could not back their boss under any circumstance. This statement just reenforced my decision to leave.

She patted herself on the back for going along with my wishes for a departure with no fanfare. I can only imagine that when and if she ever leaves, she will order up a brass band and champagne.

I walked out of that office wondering once again just what makes this woman tick? What hold does she have over the world that they all sit at her feet shaking their heads yes to whatever she says?

8 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Well there is good news and bad news with that post:

She reinforced your sense of who she is.

Good bye and good riddance, I say.

HUGS

4:02 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

It's weird that she would take time out of her day to process paperwork with you and not have a real heart to heart. Usually those paperwork duties are left to HR underlings. This woman must be a petty, venal piece of work. I think your happiness level will explode when you are done with her.

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe a good going away present would be a voodoo doll of her that you could stick pins in :-) She is unbelievable! You'll be out of there soon.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate, Matt, and David -- YES, YES, and YES! I'll have to remember that description: petty, venal piece of work.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

May 4th will be a day of jubilaton!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Barbara wrote: I walked out of that office wondering once again just what makes this woman tick?

Probably selfishness and self interest - which is what seems to drive most people.

I find most people ar enot interested in substance, but in appearance. As long as everything looks fine, the actual substance is immaterial.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

She is a messenger. God wants you to know, with absolute clarity, that it's time to get the hell outta Dodge, as they say. There can be no doubt in your mind that this is right - right?

9:35 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Most younger people will kiss-ass to bosses because they need to keep their jobs. You're lucky to be able to retire and not have to do tht..not that I think you would, but at least you don't have to look for another job. retirement couldn't be any sweeter for you NOW!

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home