Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Vision of the Other Side

Have you ever felt like you had visited that narrow place that separates the living from the dead? I had a vision yesterday afternoon as I listened to Golden Spa Tones and experienced a much-needed massage. Maybe it was the Tibetan bowls. Maybe it was the eyebag that provided that cool darkness. For whatever reason I was living out a Margaret Atwood type drama at the point of crossing over.

More and more often as I meditate I go into almost a trance state where I have the equivalent of dreams. This was just such an experience yesterday. But contrary to my sleep dreams, I could remember every last detail of this one when it was over.

So here’s the scene. I’m lying on a massage table receiving massage while listening to the Tibetan bells. But there are others lying on similar tables in the same room and they are not receiving massage. Instead they are in the process of being embalmed. I see the tubes of embalming fluid being pumped into their veins. I realize they are quite dead.

And then I wonder if massage is the precursor to this next step. I want some assurance that I am alive. I realize that as long as I can feel the smooth strong strokes of the massage that I am indeed alive. I tune in to each and every one of them.

At the point at which I remove the eyebag to turn over, I glance through the adjacent plate glass window to see my parents – they always come together – waving to me. Yikes! They think I’m here to cross over. Am I?

I’m not frightened. The sounds are pleasant sounds. The hands massaging my body are warm and the oil is fragrant. It’s actually a very reassuring environment.

But this was not supposed to happen today. In fact, I was just getting ready to ratchet up my interest in living as I embark on retirement. I need just a little more time to do all those things I’ve been saving up.

Then the massage is over and I almost cry with joy to open my eyes and realize how very much alive I still am. Perhaps we have to go to the brink sometimes to renew our appreciation of life as it is in this world. But what a trip down there with the dead and what a vision across to the other side.



18 Comments:

Blogger bulletholes said...

This makes me think of how the Frog may have felt in the Snakes Gullet in that most outstanding poem you posted last week!
In 'Moby Dick" it is explained that the worst part of drowning is seeing your options disappear...the actual filling of the lungs with water is secondary to the overall experience. i think it ws Moby Dick.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

It's almost like your retiring saved you from doing that (dying a slow painful death)while still working!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve and MOI -- You are both so smart and insightful! Yes-yes-yes to both of you.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

As far as I know, the dead are massaged. This is to break up the rigour mortis and to ensure the embalming fluid reaches all parts while helping the blood to drain

5:21 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Richard -- This is an interesting piece of information. I'm probably glad I didn't know that before yesterday.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

You said, "But this was not supposed to happen today. In fact, I was just getting ready to ratchet up my interest in living as I embark on retirement. I need just a little more time to do all those things I’ve been saving up."

Maybe this is your way of telling yourself not to waste anymore time saving things up...

6:40 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I'm looking at this as a wake-up call. It almost seemed a little to real for comfort...

7:26 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

That would be "too real"...

7:27 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Wow, what an awakening experience. The Spirits were telling you something and fortunately you listened and learned.
Live each day as if it were your last...
We should all learn that lesson before it's too late.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, I'm sure whether to anticipate my next massage or not. But, your dream sounded pretty pleasant except for the crossing over part and not being ready. I almost always conk out and I'm sure I must dream or something close, but can never remember them.

Glad you woke up.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gewels -- I am still processing this experience and I do look for meaning in everything. I'm a firm believer in taking advantage of the present moment. None of us can predict what's to come, even though we might dream about it.

David -- Yes, I too am glad I woke up. The massage itself was just as wonderful as it always is. You should try the eyebag. I think that may be what sent me into this different world.

9:37 PM  
Blogger avocadoinparadise said...

How spooky! That makes me not want to get massaged or retire! No, not really. Retirement seems great. :)

10:28 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Avocado -- Massage is great too, believe me!

5:50 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

It wasn't till I read this that I realized you were probably hooking into the vibration of all the ghosts on G St. There are so many hanging around there, trying to pretend they're still alive.

BTW I checked with a couple of sources who say the Dead are never massaged. Thank goodness!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What a massage! I haven't had quite the experience but having worked myself to the point of exhaustion much of my adult life, I often found myself in a hazy area, not knowing what was read, what was a dream. If I'd known anyone on the other side, I'm sure I would have recognized them. Instead, I just saw things that didn't exist.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

"Real," not "read," but I suppose that works, too.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I hope Reya's right since that's one massage I won't enjoy and it won't be covered on my plan!!! HA!

Actually, I've told this before but I do think I was very close to the other side when I was in a diabetic coma for several days when I was 13. I'm sure that's how I picked up some extra-sensitivity to this whole world sometimes and with certain things.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- Ghosts at G Street -- yikes! I'm sure they know me well by now since I've been there so often.

Kristin -- This dreaming while conscious is a new thing for me. I love the fact that the images are so seemingly real, even if they are not. The massage itself was my life-line to reality.

MOI -- I'm sure you had some interesting revelations during your near-death experience as a teenager. You should post about that episode in your life, which has obviously influenced you since then.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home