Friday, April 06, 2007

Thinking About Down-sizing


A king-size bed is both a blessing and a curse. It means that you have all the room in the world to flop around without disturbing the other person sharing your bed. But it also means that running into each other must be intentional.
My husband and I were both in somewhat of a funk last night. He is quite worried about his elderly mother whose degenerating spine is causing her great pain and the only solution seems to be heavy-duty pain medication. I'm still caught up with aggravations at work that at least have an end date attached to them, but for now the gang of four is still driving me crazy.
I went to bed last night feeling lonely and cold. Our bed never had seemed so big and empty.
When my husband came to bed at his usual 2 AM, I was aroused from a deep sleep to find myself being hugged from behind. From the time I was a little child, I always found this hug to be the most comforting, the most reassuring.
I'm pretty sure that hug led to other sensual things. Although when you are at your period of deepest sleep, it's hard to sort out what was real and what was a dream.
In any event, it was so nice to find each other last night at a time when we must really rely on each other for strength to deal with our particular set of problems.
Sometimes I wonder if we should down-size our bed to say a queen. There's something rather nice about bumping into someone you love when you turn over, don't you think?

8 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

AUA and I just up-sized to a queen from a full, and although the space is nice (apparently I have very sharp elbows), I miss the necessity of being curled around him all night.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Sparkles -- I'm happy to hear you and AUA are doing well. I'm sure you will not lose each other, even in a queen-size bed!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What an awakening.

I suppose the size of the bed makes a difference, as does the size of your feelings. If you're willing to reach out, there's no space too big, but it's awfully nice to share the small ones.

12:14 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Just like the good ol days...used to happen to me and the first wife a lot...just like you say...you think "what sweet little dream this is", then all of a sudden you wake up and guess what? No Dream!

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw something on one of your posts aout Bay High Class of '67 planning a reunion this year - any details on it ? Who's doing it ? When and where ?

5:36 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anonymous -- Send me an e-mail message at barbara.diskin@verizon.net and I will tell you everything I know about the reunion. I still haven't decided whether to go or not. It will depend on who's there that I want to see. Do I want to see you? Were you in my class?

5:44 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

It's not about your bed, it's about how much you two love each other. What a sweet post!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I'm with you on the hugs from behind..just feels so close and protected. We're one of the few couples I know who still have the double pine cannonball bed we got when we got married. Don't think we're changing it any time soon. neither of us are too huge and it's so sentimental. Then, it is a treat when we go to a hotel and have a queen!

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home