Friday, March 30, 2007

Reluctant Feedback

On the final day for our performance reviews, I realized I hadn't had one. I asked my boss's secretary if I was on her calendar for a review that day, to which she replied that the boss had handed her back all the forms saying she was finished.

I began to wonder if she had just forged my signature in the hope of continuing her current habit of avoiding me at all cost.

Then I got an e-mail message from the boss asking me to stop by between 11 and 1 for my review. Was it going to take 2 hours?

I showed up at 11 and sat down at her table. She whipped out the form, made a single statement to the effect of "You've been doing a great job" while not really looking at me and asked me to sign the form.

I was utterly incredulous. I know she really doesn't understand what I do, but this little charade was an insult to the term "performance review".

I signed and walked out 3 minutes after I had walked in, just shaking my head in disbelief.

I'm still wondering what her game plan was if I hadn't asked. Was she going to turn in the unsigned form, hoping no one would notice until I was long gone? Was she going to sign for me?

I'll never know, but it really doesn't matter. I've gotten my report card for this term. I suppose I passed, although there was no clear indication.

It's a good thing money is not doled out on the basis of this rating.

10 Comments:

Blogger jessabean said...

Hi, I just happened upon your blog from cyberspace. :)

The exact same thing happened to me at my first job. Kind of makes it hard to tell if you're actually doing a good job at work, doesn't it? Biggest pet peeve at the office: lack of communication, for sure!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

No more reviews. No more reviews. No more reviews. No more reviews. No more reviews. No more reviews. No more reviews.

I don't think that I can say it enough. You're out of there!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

God help those who stay behind!

You are so out of there!

Luv,

Kate

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more incredible story about this non boss of yours. What a sorry excuse for a manager. If you want to understand the meaning of "a mensch" - just think of the opposite of her.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Now aren't you glad you're leaving? Handing you an A+ for this performance!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I love these last two posts - you are a mighty warrior, my dear. Bravo!!

Oh - and the truth is - you HAVE done a great job!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

These guys are not exactly a class act! You beat them out in that category! Keep holding your head high, Barbara.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

They still have to go through the motions and appear without prejudice.

Part of the purpose for a review is to go over what you have done, how this affects your perfomance and where you are going. Since you ar eleaving, it seems, at least to me, sort of pointless to discuss future direction for you.

I still have to do my self appraisal (already late).

10:35 AM  
Blogger wharman said...

Have a great time in retirement. While I'm sure it hasn't been easy to live, this series of posts about your exit is told well and should be passed around to managers as a lesson in "what not to do."

2:32 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

I would have gone over it line by line and discussed it with her, asking questions. Taking as much time as I could. I also would have made sure it was the same as or better than the last one. Anything to make her uncomfortable. (Slap my hand!)

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home