Saturday, May 12, 2007

In Search of Sweet Dreams

After a week of sleeping apart, we fixed the problem. We just bought a new bed that should last us for a long while.

For some time I had been tossing and turning a lot and waking up with an achy lower back that gradually faded after I stretched and moved for a while each day. I wondered if it was fibromyalgia or scoliosis or old age or perhaps our bed.

I decided to try an experiment. About a week ago I started sleeping in our son’s bed, which is nothing to write home about. It’s just a conventional mattress with springs, but it is a lot newer than our bed. Sure enough, after just one night I could sense a difference.

We bought our bed at least 12 years ago when I was also experiencing a lot of back pain. We opted for a foam mattress because we could get 2 different densities of foam glued together down the middle. You see we have different requirements for the degree of firmness in the mattress.

When we bought the king-size foam mattress, it was like heaven. It was such a relief and it completely fixed my back problems then. But we were also told that the life of a foam mattress is at most 8 years.

Four years later, it’s no small wonder that my back is once again hurting. There is probably a permanent indentation in my side of the bed which corresponds to the fetal position in which I sleep.

David hates shopping and I’m actually not thrilled by shopping for a new bed, so we made quick work of getting a new one this afternoon. We visited the Healthy Back Store, where he had already established a relationship when he bought a new desk chair. We were the only people in the place – perhaps not a good sign – but that meant we had the undivided attention of the guy who worked there, who was only too happy to make a sale.

I felt like Goldilocks going around to all the beds and trying them out. This one is too hard. This other one is too soft. Oh, I like this one over here. It’s just right. We tried and rejected Temperpedic. We both liked the medium grade Sleep Number bed, which cost about 3 times what we paid for our last bed.

It felt really yummy on my back as I lay there and zoomed the setting up and down. We will have dual controls, so his and hers can be different firmness. Just what we wanted.

I had to laugh when David told me he missed me. I’m always asleep when he comes to bed and I always get up before he does. I asked him if he missed seeing the lump on the other side of the bed and he nodded yes.

So later this week we will be having a reunion in the bedroom after the Sleep Number 3 arrives. A little separation makes getting back together again a sweet thing to look forward to!

Here’s to sweet dreams!

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My friends Rob and Sandy have a sleep number bed. Sandy says it really has made a difference to her back...when she travels she misses her bed! I hope you have similar good luck.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Sue -- This is exactly what I needed to hear. When you put out that much money, you want to think it will make a difference! I hope we have the same experience as your friends.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

love these homey little expeditions you take us on. I need to make a running jump to get into my bed - it's high and if I flip the mattress often enough, comfortable too, once I manage to get in it.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- Sounds delightful. I love high beds.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

What a sweet post! I love David for missing you! That's perfect. So glad you went out and got yourselves a new bed. Yes!

Also perfect that this post followed your "spicy" post.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I slept in a Sleep Number bed for the first time a few months back. It was delicious. I hope you enjoy (and I'm sure we'll hear about it). :)

12:15 PM  
Blogger RennyBA said...

Hmm sounds like heaven to me and I do wish you a lovely bed reunion:-)

3:56 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- I've actually missed him too. After sleeping in the same bed with him for over 30 years, sleeping apart really sucks! Soon...

Kristin -- Delicious is the perfect word to describe my trial run in the Healthy Back Store. I didn't want to get up!

Renny -- It will indeed be a good reunion, I assure you!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

It's amazing what a difference the right mattress makes. We both like a fairly firm one as we both have lower back problems. The reunion will make the expenditure worth it!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bed may be great. But as you pump air in, water droplets enter and consense on the inside bladder wall. Water allows bacteria spores to grow. When releasing air. Spores are released as well. Very bed for allergies.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Luella Writes said...

Barbara,

We are so happy to hear that you have chosen a Sleep Number bed. Once you and your husband recieve your bed, we would love to hear more about your sleep experience.

In response to allergy concerns, an additional benefit of a Sleep Number bed is the ability to minimize allergens. The Sleep Number bed has a unique zip-open design that you can choose to open to ventilate and vacuum. Cleaning the inside of your Sleep Number bed rids of various allergens that traditionally can be trapped inside an enclosed mattress. This is especially convenient during warmer months when more people are suffering from allergies.

We hope you enjoy the Sleep Number bed and look forward to hearing about your experience.

Take care,
LeeAnn Rasachak
Select Comfort, Public Relations

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home