Thursday, July 12, 2007

Ready to Sizzle

As I was contemplating our yearly trip to adult summer camp at Chautauqua next week, I just said to my husband, “Maybe our time together will be sparky.” “Huh?” he replied. “Electric, you know?” I added.

Familiarity with your partner of many years means you can read the other person’s mind most of the time, you can finish each other’s sentences, and real surprises are rare. Although this is certainly preferable to a relationship where you are always on guard because you don’t know what’s coming next, it can become well ho-hum sometimes.

Lately I’ve felt uninspired, unimaginative as we both went about our own business in a house that is big enough for 6 or 8 to exist quite well. He spends a lot of time each day on web-site work, while I read, play the piano, and think about all those life decisions I keep putting off. The lightning and thunder of recent storms makes me yearn for a little lightning in the rest of my life.

Summer camp always provides a charged atmosphere that stirs your creative juices, makes you feel a little sexier than usual, and gives you opportunities to explore new things. Maybe next week I’ll rediscover a mad passion for life and our faces will flush as we feel that something that once drew us together and has kept us committed all these years.

Let the sparks ignite – I’m ready!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post Barbara!

This one speaks so well of the vagaries of a good marriage: the peaks and the valleys - and the different ways a couple drift and come back together in their couples' life dance. I pray one day I shall be so blessed.

Beautiful - I can't wait to hear all about 'summer camp' when you get back! May there be lightening AND thunder rolling through your bunks .... :)

12:16 PM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

What a GREAT idea!

What do you get to DO on an Adult Summer Camp?

I presume the cushion project is now on hold?

12:49 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

RDG -- So good to hear from you. You are one of my husband's favorite Bloggers, although he seems to Blog in fits and spurts. I love the idea of a "couple's life dance" -- what a romantic way to think of a relationship!

I plan to take my computer, so look for posts from beautiful Chautauqua next week when the lightning and thunder allow!

Rise -- Ours is really a pretty cushy camping experience -- no tents or outdoor privies. Instead there is a smorgasbord of classes, concerts, lectures, you name it! The people who go are interesting and inquisitive. The local daily newspaper doesn't print any bad news. A very surreal way to spend a week, but one that leaves you charged to emerge back into the reality of this world.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:05 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

I've heard of Chautaqua. But, I don't know much about it- can't wait to hear all about your adventures (wink,wink) there.

Good luck re-igniting that spark- everyone needs to do that once in a while.

3:37 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Oh My!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gewels, Steve -- Stay tuned. You know with my rating it will only be rated G though!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I hope you have a wonderful week of inspiration and fun. If there are actual thunderstorms, I hope you'll seek shelter! See you when you get back.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- I actually love to get drenched in a summer rain, but I am not a lightning rod, so yes, in case of an electrical storm I will be safe inside.

I look forward to catching up with you when we get back. I'm sure by that time we will both have a lot to share.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

This is such a neat idea..wish my husband would go for something like that! Today's our 27th anniversary but sparks won't fly until the weekend since he works late. I'd like to go back to the place we had our reception for dinner. My post on it will have to be Fri. as I couldn't get to the office computer and scanner during the day.

I hope the sparks fly for you and you both get revitalised at camp!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- A very happy anniversary to you and your Dave. We will be celebrating our 31st anniversary in August.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

hope you'll be a happy camper ;)

5:14 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I'm always a happy camper. Who wouldn't be when there's no bad news? :)

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all these long term anniversaries .... you would think i would be feeling envious, but instead, i just feel happy that marriages like these actually do exist ..... it gives me hope!!

have fun camping I for one will be eagerly anticipating those 'camp letters' .... !!

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home