Thursday, July 05, 2007

Finally Fashionable

Finally my daughter and I have something in common fashion-wise. It has taken us a long time to get to the point of sharing clothes. Having her ask to borrow one of my skirts simply made my day!

Just a few years ago I was a size 12 mostly because my stomach muscles had not even been discovered. She was, on the other hand, a size 0 looking somewhat unhealthy in her total absence of fat. Moreover I still wore clothes that had high waists with waistbands and she had already discovered the joy of those lower waists. I thought it highly unlikely she would ever find something good to say about my wardrobe, a typical teenager.

Over the course of the last few years, I have shed a few pounds by using our basement gym and paying attention to what I ate. I have once again started to enjoy clothes shopping. She has given up the notion that emaciated is fashionable and while she works out almost daily, she has also developed a healthy appetite for alcoholic beverages. So the convergence.

Yesterday our conversation went something like this:

R: “I like those off-white Capris. Where did you get them?”
Me: “Loft, where I get most everything these days. What size do you wear now?”
R: “A 6 or an 8.”
Me: “How exciting! I am a size 8. We can exchange clothes. I have some that are a little snug that might be just right for you. I’ll put them on your door.”

Today as my husband and I walked around the Folk Life Festival, I got a call from R, who was getting ready to go out to lunch with a friend. “Can I wear that long teal skirt of yours?” To which I answered, “But of course.”

I didn’t have siblings growing up and rarely had roommates that were the same size, so this is a completely new phenomenon. Not only are we the same size but she approves of my taste in clothes. It turns out that approval from your children is just about as important as parental approval is to them.

I think I’ll look through her closet and see what I might borrow. What fun!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I'm envious! I was born a size 12 I think! Even though I'm 5' 9", I'd much rather be a 10. How neat you can swap clothes. I used to do that with my tall sisters who are also the same size.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I traded clothes with my younger daughter all the while she lived with me. What fun! I'm glad you and your daughter can share this apsect...isn't it neat? What did you borrow?

6:52 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- My daughter packed up and went back to Boston yesterday. But she did leave behind a pair of olive green shorts that fit me perfectly. So perhaps it's a gift, not a loan!

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home