Thursday, September 27, 2007

Was I Wrong?

I’ve always thought of myself as a morning person, often getting up at 5:15 when I was working. But today I proved that I can sleep even later than my husband, rolling out of bed at 9:30.

It only made sense because I had been up until 1:00 am last night writing TY notes to my High Holy Day chair persons, doing a little Blogging, just puttering. I got up at 7:00 to let the dog out, but easily went back to bed and slept for another couple of hours.

I felt somewhat guilty that I had missed the farmers’ market with my friend Kris. I felt even more guilty when I learned that she had driven family to the airport for a 7:00 am flight and gone to the market all before I got up.

Here it is 8:20 and we haven’t even eaten dinner yet, the day being skewed by about 2 hours. I’m not sure I like this late-night schedule, but it does allow me to see more of my husband. “No particular place to go” does mean that it really doesn’t matter when I go to bed, when I get up, if I take a nap, or whether I accomplish anything at all. It’s a nice feeling not to have to be accountable to anyone.

But I still think my best hours are in the early morning. Maybe I will drift back in that direction... some day soon.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I envy the 9:30 ETD from bed. It sounds positively luxurious.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

In general, I find my day is wasted if I get up late. And I get up late because I had a late night. I am more productive in the morning than afternoon. Of course, some people are not, a friend of mine is effectively unfunctional before noon. I can't understand it.

Having lazy days is good, it only becomes a problem when it becomes the norm.

12:17 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I WORKED NIGHTS FOR SOOOO MANY YEARS IT HAS TAKEN ME 5 YEARS TO GET USED TO (excuse me) the A.M. Shift.
And my most productive hours for cleaning and laundry stilll seem to come after Midnight most weeks.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

So many years of getting up at 6:00 a.m. and now I feel disgusted if I sleep in till 8:00. It's like half the day is over. But at least I don't panic and think I'm going to get fired because there is no one in my classroom! I still have that dream!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

sleeping in can be such a luxury but you're right - you miss that day's sunrise and the early morning quiet hours. but you obvioulsy needed the sleep, so rise and shine early tomorrow ;)

5:23 PM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Just enjoy!

There are way too many "shoulds" in our lives ...

5:31 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Today it was 8:30. I'm moving in the right direction. 7:00 sounds just about perfect.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home