Friday, September 21, 2007

Taking Stock

There is something powerful and ominous about Yom Kippur. It symbolically represents death and rebirth, as we end the past year by considering our sins and get to start afresh.

Tonight we heard the hauntingly beautiful Kol Nidre melody, sung by multiple people and played on a solo clarinet. I think EVERYONE heard it. The sound system worked flawlessly and has finally been blessed by the powers that be.

Tomorrow I will read the following passage during the Yom Kippur morning service:
***************************************************
Let us proclaim the sacred power of this day:
it is awesome and full of dread.
For on this day Your dominion is exalted,
Your throne established in steadfast love;
there in truth You reign.
In truth You are
Judge and Arbiter, Counsel and Witness.
You write and You seal, You record and recount.
You remember deeds long forgotten.
You open the book of our days,
and what is written there proclaims itself,
for it bears the signature
of every human being.

The great Shofar is sounded,
the still, small voice is heard;
the angels, gripped by fear and trembling,
declare in awe:
This is the Day of Judgment!
For even the hosts of heaven are judged,
as all who dwell on earth
stand arrayed before You.

As the shepherd seeks out his flock,
and makes the sheep pass under the staff,
so do You muster and number and consider
every soul,
setting the bounds of every creature’s life;
and decreeing its destiny.
***************************************************

This is indeed a time for personal reflection. I’m not proud of some of the interactions with people which I had during this past year, but as I think about them I hope I can start the new year with a clean slate.

Shana tova!

4 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

wow! Powerful and scary.

I'm thinking about you right now, reading aloud those words, and thinking too about everyone being able to actually hear them.

Happy New Year!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Definitely a powerful passage. I wish a happy new year.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I'm glad thay hold such strong meaning and connection for you, and that you get to be a big part of the whole thing. Ihave a feeling that you are a very good reader of such things. Have you ever considered letting all of "us" your voice reading this through something called Gabcast? A blogger I know does this with her poems, but I have no idea if the technology id hard...for me it would be!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

It was an incredibly long day, but we have broken the fast and put the old year aside now. I took my bows as chairperson and realized that next year I can enjoy praying without that feeling of responsibility!

Thanks for the good wishes!

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home