Thursday, November 08, 2007

Traveling


Today was a travel day, but of a different sort. For our trip to San Francisco, I took a chance and packed virtually everything in one medium-size suitcase and hoped ATA/Southwest wouldn’t lose it. That left me with a tiny backpack containing my lunch and a purse containing about 15 hours of needlework projects that I need to finish before November 17 when I open up my “business” at Eastern Market.

The first hurdle was getting through security with needles and scissors. I had checked the Homeland Security website ahead of time, where I saw no prohibition against sewing needles and a restriction on scissors to blades of 4” or less. No questions asked and it is infinitely easier not to have to deal with a computer.

I felt absolutely no urge to be plugged in as I waited in the airport. I had plenty of work to do and e-mail and Blogging could just wait.

I loved the fact that I didn’t have to struggle to find space in the overhead compartment and there was still plenty of room for my feet. It was a whole lot easier getting on and off the plane without a suitcase of any kind.

I occasionally looked out the window as we flew from Chicago to San Francisco. I was impressed with how empty and rugged much of the country is, especially the West.

We arrived to a very gray day in San Francisco. I hope they are not all like this, but I fear they may be. Several people volunteered to help us find the BART train as we looked just a little lost in the airport. As we waited for train to take us into the city, I noticed the message about taking bikes on the trains seemed warm and friendly.

Even though it was rush hour, the traffic didn’t seem horrendous. Our B&B at Grove and Fillmore is sort of a dump, but it is located 3 blocks from where our daughter lives. The advertised Wi-Fi seems rather nonexistent.

As I sit here writing this, we’re waiting for our daughter to get home from work so we can meet up for dinner. This is the first visit to a working child. I feel like I’m waiting to be picked up for a date!

We don’t have a planned itinerary, so I suppose we will spend the next 2 days poking around on our own since she will be at work.

BTW, if you are wondering about the things in the picture, they will become holiday door-knob covers once the elastic is inserted. Come visit me at Eastern Market on November 17 to see the finished product!

3 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

It's a bit of a sketchy neighborhood where you're staying, but it'll make for some great stories later on. I'm sure there are cafes closeby that have wifi.

"Gray" means fog in San Francisco. It should burn off by afternoon most days - the western addition is a pretty sunny part of the city.

Can't wait to hear the stories!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- The promised "burn off" didn't occur today, but there was no rain so I can't complain. My legs have never been so tired as they are right now.

I got really great lavender and more!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Great craft idea!

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home