Wednesday, December 12, 2007

From the Heart

I have now confirmed what I had long suspected: I much prefer pouring my heart into things for people I know and love to selling my handmade items to strangers. I don’t even feel comfortable taking money from friends. I suppose it’s a good thing I didn’t have a career in retail.

I had been thinking about what to do with the 8 poinsettia napkins that no one bought on that cold day at the market. I have decided to give them to my friend Deborah since she has invited us to Christmas dinner. That way I will be able to see them used and enjoyed.

This morning I made a matching card for the gift of napkins. I can’t imagine anything more fun that cutting and glueing and writing greeting cards. I love to make cards that have something that appears to be suspended as is the poinsettia on this one.

Yesterday’s project was a white dove doorknob cover for the yoga studio. I had given them similar ones in previous years that have simply worn out over time, so it will be fun to surprise them with this little dove who is a nondenominational ambassador for peace.



7 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I completely understand. If you're going to put that much time and energy into something, you kind of want it to be appreciated. I would want it to be appreciated. It's part of you.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- It's funny how you have a very different attitude toward anything that involves money.

6:18 PM  
Blogger KC said...

Love your projects. You should have a class in card making. I know your talents will be most appreciated.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I should have said "one" or "I" instead of "you" since I can't speak for you!

KC -- Look for an e-mail invitation!

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love making things with my hands .. I believe some epochs ago, I must have been a weaver.

And paper?? oooooo......do I have a thing for paper - it's as bad as my shoe obsession .... i love making cards and books (i think i'm repeating myself here) ....

there is satisfaction in the process: i always seem to reach a meditative state when engaged in such a project - a very good place for my over active, mis-firing brain to be!

xxx
red

10:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

RDG -- Too bad you live so far away. We would have a great time cutting and pasting together. And yes, I do find making things to be a wonderful form of therapy!

9:34 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

When I waas a Tilesetter I was the same way and nearly
(Nearly? I did!) went bankrupt for it!
How do you put a price on something you have poured yourself into? How can you dream of it?

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home