Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A Moment of Revelation



If you were already suspecting that I am crazy, this post may convince you. I offer it as a strange sort of background to the story of Glenda, the recipient of the RAK sewing machine.

When I went to church camp as a teenager, I was never the one to experience Jesus. I never felt saved in the least. I always envied those (mostly) girls who had life-changing events. But much later when I was in the midst of my twenties, I had a brief moment where I connected with God in a way that has happened only once in my lifetime.

I was working in Guatemala for several weeks on a survey of agriculture. My friend Sam, who had a lot more clout than I, convinced the US Embassy to provide us with a car and a driver for the weekend so we could go out and look at farms growing coffee and beans interspersed with corn first hand. We did see those farms, but we also got a good look at some of the most beautiful countryside on the face of the earth.

We had stayed overnight at Panahachel, a small town on Lake Atitlan, the volcanic lake in the picture above. There was something about the lake, especially when the mist hovered over it in the early morning, that seemed almost like a piece of heaven.

We started out the next day and stopped at a high point overlooking the lake. The young Mayan girl happened to be there.

That’s when it happened. I heard the voice of God tell me that I was destined to do something to help humanity some time in my life. Before I could ask important questions like WHAT and WHEN, it was gone and I was simply looking at the shimmering lake once again.

This was 32 years ago. I have carried that experience with me all this time. I came across this picture, which has been tucked away in a drawer.

And what you might ask does this have to do with Glenda?

I learned just yesterday as I took her home after our sewing lesson that she is from a little town that sits on the edge of Lake Atitlan. Her grandmother is younger than I am. I wondered for a moment if the young girl in the picture could have been her mother or someone else in her family.

I will follow this up with a post about Glenda and her newly acquired sewing machine, but for now I am still drinking in the possibilities suggested by this coincidence.

15 Comments:

Blogger Velvet said...

It's entirely possible. An old co-worker of mine met a guy and they started dating and eventually got married. At some point during their courtship, they discovered they went to the same nursery school. Her mom went rifling through pics and found one of the two of them together!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Velvet -- Yes, these are the kind of things that make one ask whether it's fate or something according to a plan.

3:22 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

"A small World after all"

4:08 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

how absolutely way out cool! Can't wait to learn what you learn!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- I actually visited the lake several years ago with my husband and son. We spent a week taking intensive Spanish classes taught by Mayans at a cost of $2 an hour. It was one-on-one training. My teacher was also a weaver, so she taught me to do native weaving on a free loom attached to a tree in the garden while we spoke Spanish. It was a continuation of the little piece of heaven. Nothing had changed in all that time. But no voice of God on this trip.

Pauline -- I get goosebumps when I think about this too much. Maybe I'm just being a drama queen, but it feels like this might be the beginning of something bigger. I will certainly keep you posted!

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please revise your statement to "...has happened only once." As you said to Pauline this may indeed be the beginning of something big.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LR -- I agree and I will!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Ruth L.~ said...

Just be still . . . and listen. Amazing! I'm looking forward to the rest . . . the future.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

RuthD -- I am equally looking forward to the future!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I do believe in divine intervention and that your life could be intertwined with this girl's..definitely.

10:57 PM  
Blogger KC said...

WOW! What a remarkable and beautiful story. I can't wait to hear about Glenda. Did you show her your picture to see if she knows the little Mayan girl. Isn't the Universe a wonderful place!

6:12 AM  
Blogger Ulysses said...

Every once in a while, something happens to me to make me wonder if I could see how everything was connected if I just stopped paying so much attention.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- We will probably never know, but it's interesting to ponder.

KC -- I just found the picture again yesterday. I am planning to take it in to class tomorrow, perhaps to give her a copy of it. I'm also going to show her a book about Guatemala which we brought back from our trip several years ago. It may give her some good memories of this place she called home for most of her young life.

Ulysses -- The problem is those moments of revelation are often so short, leaving us with that veil that doesn't reveal the big picture.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Ulysses said...

I totally agree, mostly all I get is a vague sensation that there's something I'm supposed to understand. I hope the book of my life comes out with Cliff's notes soon...

4:01 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Ulysses -- I like the idea of a Cliff's Notes version of my life. Maybe then I would understand the big picture. Until I find out where to acquire one, I will continue to muddle through hoping my course is corrected as needed.

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home