Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Another Card Bee


There is something universally lovable about Valentine’s Day. I was ecstatic when a neighbor invited me and another neighbor to spend the afternoon making valentines today.

As we looked at our collective supplies of paper, fabric, ribbon, sequins, and so many other things, we realized we could spend the next month making cards and never run out of supplies.

The card-making process is interesting as you picture the person who will receive the card and search for colors and patterns and decorations and a design appropriate to that person.

While I thought about making real valentines, I made one of the woven heart baskets I had made for so many years when my children were growing up.

There were false starts and a few discards, but mostly things were salvageable and actually turned out quite well. All the hand-made cards of the afternoon were as unique as the intended recipients of them.


I had made cards for family and close friends by the time we started to clean up our mess. Our hostess treated us to Jasmine Lotus tea and fresh fruit before we packed up to go home.

I have such a comfortable relationship with these two women who are about my age and now retired, as we figure out how to shape the next chapter of our lives. Today was a day to think about hearts!

4 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

You leave no doubt in my mind that retirement is far richer than work life.

How wonderfully blessed you are.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Richard -- I couldn't agree more!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What a wonderful day! If the recipients derive even a bit of the joy you had making them, the handmade cards will be well worth it.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Colette Amelia said...

Barbara you are truly an angel! you inspire me.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home