Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Jake's Next Sleepaway Camp

This afternoon’s trip to Columbia, MD, has taken a load off my mind. Jake will now be vacationing in the beautiful Maryland countryside with two lovely girls as his hostesses while we are away in Germany and (if he behaves himself) while we go to Italy in May.

Gewels made an offer I couldn’t refuse: to care for my dog so he doesn’t have to be home alone or stuck in a small cage at the vet’s while we’re away.

We did a trial run today just to make sure the chemistry of her Simone and Kayla and our Jake was compatible. I warned him to be on his best behavior and he complied about as well as I could have hoped for. He did lift his leg on a potted plant on her deck and he quickly pooped in the middle of her yard, but there was no peeing on a human leg and no barking whatsoever and no biting of clothing. He was the model dog as he explored the new space with S & K at his heels.

Her house is so well suited to dogs. It has a big fenced yard with free access to the inside when someone is home. He is way too fat to jump the fence, but then he’s never been a jumper. And he would have to work way too hard to dig under. So I think he cannot be a Houdini. Besides he has a long walk to the nearby lake and back every day to look forward to so why in the world would he want to leave?

This is one of the wonderful benefits of Blogging – connecting people who can provide needed support for one another.

Although Gewels has been steadfast about not wanting to be paid, the nearly $2,000 we will be saving (at $50 a day) warrants some nice presents from Europe, don’t you think?

12 Comments:

Blogger media concepts said...

I just did the math. You're going to be in Europe for 40 days?! Wow, I guess retirement is nice.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- The irony is it's two different trips, one in April to see our son the lawyer-English teacher in Germany and the other mid-May to Italy and its neighbors. We may be home for a long time after this fling. Right now we're trying to figure out how to pay our income tax...

9:48 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- The irony is it's two different trips, one in April to see our son the lawyer-English teacher in Germany and the other mid-May to Italy and its neighbors. We may be home for a long time after this fling. Right now we're trying to figure out how to pay our income tax...

9:49 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Presents from Europe sound absolutely lovely. Though, she might just miss Jake after all this time together.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

that's right, Kristin, Jake is a heart warmer... he's the one that attracted me to this site...and getting to know Barbara is bonus value!

3:27 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

oh to be a Dog! it is a dogs life, doncha think?
Hi Barb-Ya'll have a good trip!

3:51 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I'm sure she will miss Jake. He is truly a unique dog!

Kelly -- I'm glad you found my Blog through my dog!

Steve -- I'm so glad to know you are still alive and kicking. There are many days when I would be happy to be my dog.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Tht is so neat you live close enough to meet gewells and thst she can do the Jake Take for you.

And I received your present of Israeli Couscous today!!! All because of blogging! Thanks so much. I can hardly wait to try your recipe. We're in the thick of the kitchen reno and I won't have a stove till next Wed....then I have to learn to use it! HA!

9:20 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Oh, alright- a streudel might be nice. Not that my hips need it, mind you.
I can't wait to have Jake- it'll be fun. He's a real sweetie to be sure.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- Come visit and you too can meet Gewels and her beautiful Kayla and Simone!

Gewels -- Piece of cake, or should I say streudel. I hope you love Jake as much when I come to reclaim him...

3:29 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I would suggest you make a nice pot of soup for gewels and send me $500....what a deal!

1:26 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

or maybe one of those Fleugel things with the CornFlakes for the Sparkly One!

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home