Saturday, March 15, 2008

Wii Are the Champions

I don’t ever buy lottery tickets, knowing the odds are always against winning. But tonight at the Temple Micah auction, when Teddy’s 12-year-old daughter asked us if we wanted to buy some raffle tickets at $5 a ticket, I said we would take one. I jokingly asked her if she had sold us a winning ticket and she smiled and said OF COURSE!

Throughout the course of the live auction, there were three interludes for giving away the raffle prizes. Everyone had their strings of tickets on the table as the numbers were called. Of course we had our single ticket on the table, too. Our rabbi Toby won the Cuisinart deluxe model – a good thing because she is reputedly a great cook. Someone else won the Ipod Touch. Then came the item everyone had been waiting for – the Wii. (I had to ask my husband what it was that everyone seemed to want.)

As the young girl read out 195-84-86, we realized we had won! Everyone was so envious, especially those with 12-year-olds.

So after an evening of fun, we probably just about broke even. We managed to buy

– A pint of Judith Capen’s superb chocolate sauce,
– A lesson in latke making from Miriam in Silver Spring,
– A chili dinner on Capitol Hill,
– Another dinner “Hot smoke, cool jazz” in Bethesda, and
– An adorable Vera Bradley black quilted backpack donated by Forecast.


But the big surprise of the evening was that we managed to win a Wii on a $5 raffle ticket! I hear there is now a new ailment called Wii-itis that people get from swinging their Wii rackets. I can’t wait!

9 Comments:

Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

You're gonna love your wii... I know we love ours!

2:29 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kelly -- It will be interesting to see if a person who doesn't watch television and certainly doesn't play video games will get hooked!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Ummmm ...

what's a wii?

8:04 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- I'm glad to see I was not the only person who didn't know! Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the Wii -- it's basically a video game which uses your TV. You can imagine how thrilled one of us was with our good fortune!

8:42 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Congratulations! So you're going to re-gift it to your "inner 12 year old"? Have fun!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- My daughter's response was "I can't imagine Mom playing with a Wii," so I am determined to enjoy it. She was quick to add that she would be happy to have our Wii if we ever decided to part with it.

9:48 PM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

thanks for supplying the definition of a wii - I too was clueless! I'll be interested to hear about how the learning curve goes - I think pong was the last video game I played - when was that 1978?? and was that a video game?

congrats on winning the raffle - it's always quite exciting. we had our annual fundraiser with raffle on saturday - this was the third year I donated a quilt to be one of the prizes and it's very exciting to hear the buzz and desire among those in hoping to win - the quilt went to a wonderful home I'm happy to say!

12:25 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

Lucky you.

I have never played with a Wii, although Tania has and bugs us to buy her one (or a Nintendo DS). We are resolute against buying video consoles for the kids - although, they do have some video games they can connect to the TV or play on the computer.

Wii-itis is not the only problem with Wii's. Apparently a number of plasma TVs have been smashed by flying Wii controls. Panasonic is coming out with a Wii-proof plasma TV that features a reinforced plate glass.

You can check out some Wii damage here.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Mouse -- Wish I could have seen your quilt. I have new-found appreciation for the art of quilting after making my small one.

Richard -- Hopefully we will not destroy our TV. I can't imagine ever getting that excited over a video game.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home