Monday, April 28, 2008

Raining 20's

Picture the nightmarish I-Love-Lucy moment when you go to take your money out of the ATM and you drop it. I woke up in a cold sweat and admitted that’s exactly what had happened to me – just last night.

I needed cash to pay the person who cleans our house every two weeks. I don’t like going to the ATM near our house in a somewhat sketchy area at night. But I was sure I could make my withdrawal and be done in a minute or two.

I always look around to check out who else is there before getting out of my car. Only one car at the drive-by ATM. So I went to the walk-up one where there was no one around.

Card in, select ENGLISH, pin number, withdrawal, amount, wait, money. Then as I took it out of the dispenser, I dropped it – not just a bill, but the stack of bills. Not that there was that much, but it seemed like a lot as the wind tossed it around.

Maybe it would have been better if the long line of Hispanic men who are usually there had been there last night. My guess is they would have pitched in and rounded up every fluttering bill in no time.

But instead I was snatching at my flying money like a crazed woman. When I saw no more in hiding, I jumped into my car to count and make sure I had it all. Whew!

I wondered if anyone – perhaps the surveillance camera – had captured this little escapade. How ridiculous I must have looked picking my money up off the sidewalk.

Just a freaky accident with no harm done. But it makes me conscious of being more aware of what I am doing at the ATM machine. It’s not a time for making lists or daydreaming!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I NEVER use the walk-up. I hope this will make you think twice and always use the drive-thru.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I think my heart would drop a little as the cash started flying. I'm glad you managed to retrieve it all!

6:07 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Didn't you do this before with blueberries? Gravity can be a tough thing!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate -- The exact same thing could happen at the drive-thru ATM if you don't hold onto the cash as it comes out the dispenser. It would even be worse because then it might fly under the car. Ugh!

Kristin -- Dropping heart, yes! I was very lucky the wind was not stronger than it was.

MC -- How wonderful of you to remember my last fiasco with the dropsies! I too had thought of that. The stakes were lot higher here, albeit there were fewer pieces to retrieve.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I would love to see what Lucy would have done with an ATM machine. For that matter, I would love see what she would do with a personal computer, a drive-thru Starbucks and the archtypical fast food restaurant. I can just see her burning a DVD or using a laser printer!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kelly -- Maybe it's time to resurrect the Lucy character because you've already got me thinking of some wonderful episodes!

Funny thing, when we were in Jamestown, NY (Lucy's hometown), last Fall, we ate at a small restaurant down the block from the Lucy-Desi Museum. It turned out her daughter was sitting at the table adjacent to ours. It reminded me that Lucy was actually a real person, not just some sit-com character.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home