Friday, April 18, 2008

A Close Encounter with Water

I had one of those close calls yesterday that remind us that fate sometimes smiles upon us. It was plumbing gone way wrong.

Just as we were both walking out of the house to go downtown to get allergy shots, I heard a loud crash and then a hissing sound in the kitchen. It seemed to be coming from the sink. It was when I opened the cabinet doors beneath the sink that a torrent rushed out.

My husband threw me a bunch of towels and then headed to the basement to turn off the water to the entire house. But there was so much water I just couldn’t keep up with it. Then it stopped and so did the noise.

At first I was clueless as to what had actually happened. On closer inspection, it appeared that the water filter under our sink had come unmounted and crashed to the bottom of the cabinet, cracking the plastic housing in the fall.

We managed to get all the water to the sink turned off so we could once again have water in other parts of the house.

Then the task of finding a plumber began. “How about Wednesday of next week?” or simply no answer and an answering machine. None of those would do as we are entertaining 10 people for dinner tomorrow night and there is much work to be done in that sink. Finally a plumber who was available today.

It’s only after the practical problem-solving steps that you sit back and say, “That would have been a fucking disaster had it occurred 5 minutes later, or worse yet last week when we were in Germany.”

This close encounter with water will be added to the short list of averted disasters that sits somewhere in my brain. I say a blanket THANKS to a higher power or to fate that allowed this to turn out alright.

Our household inventory of towels have been washed and the sink is once again functional. Life goes on and my respect for the power of water is ratcheted up just a notch.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I was less than thrilled to come home from France and discover that my neighbors had been unknowingly flooding my apartment for a week.

I hope you manage to get it all sorted before your dinner party!

4:08 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I would have wanted to turn around and go back to France. Water is incredibly damaging!

4:39 PM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

timing is everything...thank goodness this didn't happen while you were away!!!!

several years ago my sister in law had a hose break while they were away for two weeks!!! they lived in a one story house with no basement. and the water level in their house got over 4 1/2 feet high. they lost just about all their material possessions. they had home insurance, but a lot of what we posses is irreplaceable because of sentimental value or family history.

I found it amazing that no one in their neighborhood called anyone when they saw water coming out from doors going all the way to the street for days on end.

poor kristin I hope the water coming into her flat was confined to one area. yikes!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Mouse -- It's this kind of story that makes me say "Thank God"! I'm not ready to give up my material possessions to a flood. We're thinking about what to turn off when we go away in May...

8:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

One night in Brooklyn I heard this SHHING sound...I went and looked under my sink and water was POURING OUT OF THE WALL. I had to call the super at 3:00 AM to get his help. It was HYSTERICAL on one hand...but it was super lucky that it happened at 3 AM and not 3 PM when I was at work...

9:29 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Sue -- The sound of water ranges from the plunk of a single drop to the sound you described to the roar of a waterfall. How interesting!

Fate sometimes allows us to minimize the damage from something that could be so destructive otherwise.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

How apropos, just as the children of Israel pass safely through the waters of the Red Sea, so too did you pass safely through the waters.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home